Help with mold

Discuss on Discord Register Free

home Forums Art & Artwork Open Critique Help with mold

Tagged: 

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    Elke WeissElke Weiss
    Participant
    No badges. No points.

Hi everyone!

I watched all mold making classes but I realize that my problem with my piece is. that it has ears,  quite large ones. Can someone give me some input how to do this? The problem I have is where to put the seam. I was thinking of making a box mold, but where do I make the cut? The ears are wider on the side than the head, I won’t get that out, right? Only thing I feel this could work is to find one of the outside of the ears and cut along it? But I don’t think I would be ever able to find the edge when cutting, I don’t think there is a way to make a mark like in the videos shown with the bottom mark. The clay is Monster Clay so it’s quite hard, it might tear the mold, but I am not sure. Does anybody know how to approach this?  Maybe make a cut between ears and along the side of the face? Basically a 45 degree angle?

Cheerio

Elke

Roman JaskolskiRoman Jaskolski
    Participant
    No badges. No points.

very nice 😀

Joshua JacoboJoshua Jacobo
    Keymaster
    No badges. No points.

I would do a seam from side to side right up and over each ear. Use a flashlight and drag it along the front of it and see where the light ends (try to keep it steady and straight). Where the light end is where your seam line should be, wherever possible. You can draw it out with a pencil. You are never going to have the perfect amount of draft. That’s why we use soft silicone material for the mold.

Use a colored pen to draw an easy-to-see line on it. When you are doing your jewelers cut if you are slow and careful you can faintly see the line underneath.

Joshua JacoboJoshua Jacobo
    Keymaster
    No badges. No points.

You could also use dragon skin and do a mold without a seam. It just pulled over the whole head, but I’d recommend the first option I mentioned in the last post:

https://www.smooth-on.com/product-line/dragon-skin/

Elke WeissElke Weiss
    Participant
    No badges. No points.

Hi! Oh wow, thanks! This helps a lot! It’s my first rubber mold, well I only made one plaster mold before and it was a messy nightmare, so I hope this turns out better. Will post when done ;)))) Thank you again!

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to use the forums. Sign Up for a free account or Sign In.