Head planes, following the russian academic drawing aproach

Discuss on Discord Register Free

home Forums Art & Artwork Open Critique Head planes, following the russian academic drawing aproach

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    Julián Farias
    Participant
    No badges. No points.

Head planes, following the academic russian drawing aproach by mirochnik

Iliya MirochnikIliya Mirochnik
    Participant
    Instructor Badge
    No points.

Hi Julian! This is a looking really good! The hardest thing about this head, and the mistake I most often see made, has more to do with character, likeness and proportions, than with accurately showing the planes. I think those aspects of the head are captured quite well here and it’s a pleasure to see. Thank you for doing my course, by the way. What I do I recommend as you work on this head and others is to push yourself towards removing the lines between the planes. Now this isn’t strictly necessary in such a constructive assignment, but I do believe that learning to replace the plane break lines with either a) the terminator b)flat tone or c) highlight is the real push towards finish and “polish” and will help with the more organic forms of a cast head or portrait later on. In your case, you’ve divided the planes up quite well by shape and value, but the modeling of the areas in-between the planes is missing, or at the very least, rather underdeveloped. It also seems to me that you’re making the main contrast on the lips, whereas I would move it towards the eye and brow ridge, and plane break between the side and intermediary plane. Overall, this is a really laudable piece, you should be happy with it!

Julián Farias
    Participant
    No badges. No points.

Iliya thank you very much for your comments! Its great to have a feedback directly from you, Im very exited with the course!

Im moving foward to the skull proyect.

Greetings, and thanks for sharing your knowledge

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to use the forums. Sign Up for a free account or Sign In.