Glenn + Steve: trying to link their teachings

Discuss on Discord Register Free

home Forums Art & Artwork Open Critique Glenn + Steve: trying to link their teachings

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Author
    adrianomazzanti10adrianomazzanti10
    Participant
    No badges. No points.

thank you all for doing this! i’d like to have a critique about his one. I’ve tried to incorporate lessons learned from Glenn about the anatomy and the way about Steve used the Alphacolor in his demos. In the following days i’ll try to partecipate in the forum, but i am not feel i am able to do critique to others partecipant’s works… Can i spend a few words about the Bill’s course about compositon? It was AWESOME! I learned things on this subject that I didn’t even think could exist and – above all – I learned how important composition is in an image development. And I learned to love it. So tks again to all and tks to Bill

Eden
    Participant
    No points.

Wow this looks great! The shadows look amazing and give a real sense of the form. Her back is beautiful and the shadow from her arm falls across it nicely. The only thing that throws it off is that you used white for highlight, but it seems to turn gray and be darker than the yellow paper and it throws off the lighting. Makes her look like she’s starting to become a zombie rather than the light falling on her arm.

Hey, I feel the same way about critiquing others works. I feel like such a beginner and don’t know how much value I can offer, if any. But I feel like it’s frustrating when you post and get zero response, so even a comment is good. And it’s nice to see these forums start to get some activity.

Participant
    No badges. No points.

ops, I have to apologize: I didn’t realize that Chris has criticized one of my sketchbook’s works. I’ve been so involved with my daily smart working for the past few days that I haven’t had the time to participate and check. So I hope that after posting this extra request, I won’t offend anyone. In this case, ignore my request; but if you have the time, I’ll be glad to have one and from the forum gang too. And I really want to thank Chris for his critique! Being myself a self-taught – apart the courses followed on NMA – it’s a precious resource. I’ll try to following your suggestions, Chris, and improve my drawing’s proportion and challenging myself on a more finished drawing on proper paper (it would be my first 🙂 )

Participant
    No badges. No points.

hi there Cassandra,

thanks for your words.

I guess you’re right: the white pastel produces an ugly result 🙂

but , as I said, I am self-taught and a beginner and – more- I am lazy, so I suppose I picked the first white “things” I had at hands and used it.

I have to learn how to use the materials and it was the first time I was using charcoal (alphacolor), so I hadn’t any idea how to to do an highlight on that sketchbook  toned paper.

But, you’re right.

I think I will post another one, a charcoal portrait, in which if I remember well, I used gouche to do the white: I’ll be glad to hear your opinion.

About the reason I am hesitant to do critique, other than I don’t think I can advice someone, there is that I am shy, too.

But you’re right again, so I will try to win my unwillingness and try to say something.

thanks again, Cassandra

Eden
    Participant
    No points.

Adrian, I feel the same way. Usually I am too shy to speak or post on forums, but with this Great Isolation I am more motivated because even an introvert like me needs some social contact. And I just try to remind myself that any comment is better than no comment. Okay, maybe not *any* comment, but generally it is frustrating to not feel “seen.”

And I am motivated to comment and get to know people because art is a language, and there is so much to know, and you can’t learn a language by yourself. So if we’re all sitting at home alone our language skills get rusty.

For a beginner, looks like you’re doing a damn good job so far!

Participant
    No badges. No points.

wise words 🙂
    as I promise, a portrait for your next critique. Ciao and stay safe.

Eden
    Participant
    No points.

Very emotional portrait. Is this from The Passion of Joan of Arc?

Participant
    No badges. No points.

yes. Tilda Swinton acting

Josseline JeriaJosseline Jeria
    Participant
    No badges. No points.

Hey guys! Fellow introvert here 😂 and also self-taught and a beginner. Though being self-taught is challenging, it has it’s benefits! You can direct your learning in a manner that suits your temperament as an artist and not be tied to only one specific approach. But that’s a double edge sword. You need to create your own sense of accountability, and not pull yourself in too many directions. Finding the balance that works best for you is the key. I think that it may also help you to maintain more of your own artistic voice.

I’m finding that trying my best to provide constructive feedback is helping me with my own drawing – a lot! Because I am forcing myself to see what works and doesn’t, it’s helping me to find those elements in my own work. See what I’m struggling with and what I can improve on. Often what I give feedback on is exactly the things I need to work on!

I love the emotional quality of your Tilda portrait 🙂 it’s a really engaging image. I can see your working on your construction and forms which is great. The rotational tilt in the head is good. I would say work on clarifying your tones and values. There’s a lot of variation in the front plane but it’s not supporting your form as much as it could – it’s not descriptive enough. Your variations should be used to describe the different planes, their changes and structures of the head and face.

Ramona HornungRamona Hornung
    Participant
    No badges. No points.

You’ re right there, “ a post and zero response”  is disheartening.  All I hope is that people use their judgement in the way they take  critiques they’ve received. I’d hate to see someone wreck his/her work because of a remark I made. 😫 It’s a skill one learns as any other.  Besides a piece of art is such a subjective thing….

Participant
    No badges. No points.

Looks like I have to check that movie out, love Tilda.

Participant
    No badges. No points.

I would like to give you two ideas if you allow. On the figure drawing: the gesture of the big forms and the outline contours is beautifully done. On the inside of the forms, there are some areas were you could improve: the bent leg, as it goes back into space, you can indicate that with the form of the shadow just behind the knee, imagine the cylinder and shape the shadow as that, you don’t need to know the precise anatomical forms, think of simple forms: tubes.  This was one.
    two —the head : there is an inconsistency in the alignment of the eyes. you know how to do it, draw a line through the features, eyebrows, , mouth, chin, and eyes and see where that  inner left eye corner falls out of alignment.

I hope this is clear, maybe I could do a fast draw over your images later if you want and, when I can.

great work, that figure stands  solid and beautifully harmonious, and the head is expressive. keep it up! Wish you well!

Participant
    No badges. No points.

hi there Josseline and Ramona,

I promise I’ll be back soon to answer, but I can’t now (very busy with my daily job)

Meanwhile, many thanks for your critiques and advices.

see ya soon

for Ramona: it’s only a short movie (love Tilda too); here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J2Zajvjm4LI

And, yes, you can do what you want with/over my drawing. 🙂

tks

Josseline JeriaJosseline Jeria
    Participant
    No badges. No points.

You’re welcome. I do try my best but it’s always a tricky barrier to jump giving feedback when you’re learning yourself. But I guess it’s nice to see each other helping each other however we can. I saw Joshua’s critique of your work btw – it was very informative. I learn a lot from those. To better see what works and what can be improved.

All the best

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

You must be logged in to use the forums. Sign Up for a free account or Sign In.