Gesture Drawing in Pastels

Discuss on Discord Register Free

home Forums Courses & Lessons Discussion Gesture Drawing in Pastels

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    New Masters AcademyNew Masters Academy
    Keymaster
    No badges. No points.

In this lesson, instructor George Pratt will teach you his approach to gesture drawing using pastels. You will train your hand to feel what you see and from there quickly capture the spirit of the pose. George will remind you to squint, which helps you group values and simplify shapes.

This lesson belongs to the course Pastel Figure Drawing. In this 5-week course, George Pratt will teach you how to draw the figure with pastels. You will be introduced to the importance of silhouette and visual landmarks while looking at examples of pastel artworks by the instructor. George will show you his unique approach to gesture drawing. You will learn how to capture the spirit of the poses using light, dark, and colored pastels on toned papers. After this course, you will be able to create drawings with only big shapes yet still carry excellent rhythms and arrangements.

Throughout this course, you’ll have access to the NMA community for feedback and critiques to improve your work as you progress.

NathanielAllen
    Participant
    No points.

Wow! I am thrilled to be able to sit in on lectures and demos from George Pratt! He is one of my art heroes.
    Supply question: I’m looking at the website for the Neenah paper and I’m wondering is there a recommended weight/thickness?
    Looking forward to lesson 3!
    Thanks

Leha Carpenter
    Participant
    No badges. No points.

He said 60lb. I think he specified the exact paper in the materials list on the Lesson Details page.

I too am thrilled to find this course. I spent a year in the NMA program, wanting a class like this, and not being able to personally relate to the “constructive” approach to drawing the figure. Wish I had found this class sooner–or signed up later. 😬😀 I could use just one more day to get through the lectures, but this is my last morning. Have fun with the rest of the course!

Leha Carpenter
    Participant
    No badges. No points.

I just looked, and they don’t have 60lb, so what you would want is the 80lb text, which they indicate as 80T.

Ewan Ashley
    Participant
    No badges. No points.

When I try assignment 2 and click on the reference image thumbnail I get a message saying ‘This collection has no images’ – quite frustrating.

Daniel DaigleDaniel Daigle
    Keymaster
    No badges. No points.

Hi Ewan, please reach out to “info@nma.art” for any technical issues,
    I forwarded this along to them for you

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to use the forums. Sign Up for a free account or Sign In.