Free Student Video Critiques by NMA Instructors

Discuss on Discord Register Free

home Forums Art & Artwork Open Critique Free Student Video Critiques by NMA Instructors

Viewing 15 posts - 166 through 180 (of 181 total)
  • Author
    EMK
    Participant
    No badges. No points.

Hello everyone!
    I made this one last night on cardboard. Something wrong with the eyes but I can’t tell what it is. Pretty happy with the mouth and nose.
    Some critique appreciated.
    TakeCare!
    -EMK

EMK
    Participant
    No badges. No points.

I fixed the eyes! I’m happy with it now. But if anyones got few words for me, where to improve, I’d appreciate it! Thank you!
    -EMK

• This reply was modified 3 years, 11 months ago by EMK.
    ebfranc8
    Participant
    No badges. No points.

Hello

Here is this pencil drawing

7 in by 7 in portrait

Graphite on paper

Thank you very much !!!!

EMK
    Participant
    No badges. No points.

I made another one 🙂

Alessandro CortigliaAlessandro Cortiglia
    Participant
    No badges. No points.

A drawing I did few weeks ago. 🙂

Krystal Sing
    Participant
    No badges. No points.

watercolor portrait study

Diane CameronDiane Cameron
    Participant
    No badges. No points.

Hi Erkko, really nice drawings! What jumps out at me about the one you posted first, then changed, is the shadow of the eyelashes under the eyes–if the light source is from above and the eye is in the socket, and tehrefore back in space, i wouldn’t expect to see a shadow like that.  Maybe you did it from a photo and the photo was like that but you could play it down a bit so it doesn’t draw the eye so much. I also think the line on the left side of the forehead (her right side) should be smoothed out because it doesn’t look natural the way you’ve drawn it.  These are both very easy things to fix.  Other than that, I really like this and the other drawing you posted of the woman with the scarf on her head–very expressive!

Diane CameronDiane Cameron
    Participant
    No badges. No points.

Hi Petr, this is a really nice drawing (the one of your friend  without a photo).  The only thing that distracts me is the light circle on his forehead just above his brow.  It reads as almost a hole so I’d tone it down a bit so it doesn’t draw the eye.  Otherwise, I like this drawing a lot–really nice contrast.  You’ve created a nice sense of atmosphere.

robert.kusztos
    Participant
    No badges. No points.

Hello Guys at NMA, would appreciate a critique, however I know chances are almost zero to be selected… Robert

EMK
    Participant
    No badges. No points.

Hi Diane! Thanks a lot for the critique! I fixed the forehead, now it is more believable. 🙂
    I don’t feel like working too much with the drawing anymore.. I let the eyelashes be. It is like in the photo I took (it has two different light sources, not ideal and confusing.)

Good reference photos are a must. Oh well! 🙂

Take care and stay safe!
    -E

Victor Okoro
    Participant
    No points.

This is a character design I did for a challenge.I did it on Photoshop

• This reply was modified 3 years, 11 months ago by Victor Okoro. Reason: Specification
    Victor Okoro
    Participant
    No points.

Jeremy Lefebvre. I’ll try my best to critique this one, even though I really like the piece.
    About your values, I believe I notice what looks like a rim light on her left arm, which my infer the direction the light source is, then perhaps your second lighting is more ambient since she’s outside. My problem would be with the rim light as I don’t think it was used as a way to give more information about her form, with some knowledge of ANATOMY, instead of smearing it flat like that. For example at her hips it could have been use to emphasize her hips/pelvis, even though hers may not be that prominent.
    You have the light source in mind and then you also thing of how you can best use to light form to create patterns which improve the overall value design of the piece. Remember value comes first before colour.

Victor Okoro
    Participant
    No points.

Robert Kusztos. I like your use of form lighting to really bring out some of her features. I believe your painting would have benefited more if you also showed the forms that turn away from the light source using either firm or soft edges. Like on the ball of her eyes. The side planes of her face which I think needed some darker values

Victor Okoro
    Participant
    No points.

Krystal Sing.
    I really like your potrait, I think you should practice lay ins with your dark and light value. What would have really giving this painting a more finished look would be the establishment of your lightest light and darkest dark. Not before you have already established where you light and dark patterns fall.
    The wrinkle the right side surrounding her tooth cylinder I don’t think was positioned correctly. Also the position of her ears, if it were that low I think we would see more of the under plane of her neck with mouth and nose changing accordingly. Learn the foreshortening of the head figure and the body if you have time

Victor Okoro
    Participant
    No points.

Robert Kusztos. I can see your improvement over the months, especially with your
    anatomy, but the way you represent your shadows has remained crude. Remember, do not copy the image, the image itself may not be that good. Let your drawings be a representation of what you know, and that should be the anatomy, and the use of soft, firm, hard and lost edges to describe the form. Squint when looking at your subject to see the light and dark patterns. Don’t be distracted by the details, simplify your shadows to one value first, then you establish darkest dark. Which means avoid

shadows within shadows

, especially at your early stages. Simplify first. This applies to ALL the sketches you have uploaded.

Viewing 15 posts - 166 through 180 (of 181 total)

The topic ‘Free Student Video Critiques by NMA Instructors’ is closed to new replies.