Figure Sculpting in Clay: Part 2 – Adding Volume

Discuss on Discord Register Free

home Forums Courses & Lessons Discussion Figure Sculpting in Clay: Part 2 – Adding Volume

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    New Masters AcademyNew Masters Academy
    Keymaster
    No badges. No points.

In the second lesson of David Simon’s figure sculpting series, he takes a few measurements from the model and starts adding clay to the armature. David considers the anatomy of the figure as he adds volume to the sculpture. After blocking in the major masses of the figure, he can begin to establish the gesture of the pose. In these early stages, he takes pains to limit his focus to the relationships between the parts and the whole, and to not get carried away with any particular part of the figure. Success in any sculptural project relies on constantly checking and re-establishing your proportion– only later should you hone in on the intricacies! Sculpting from life is a dynamic and process-heavy endeavor, by watching this series we hope that you learn about the intricacies involved and are inspired to tackle the challenge!

A sculptor of international acclaim, David Simon’s career has ranged from life-size portraits and figures to massive bronze statues. Among others, he helped oversee the giant Leonardo da Vinci Horse project. David created maquette and sculptures for films such as Where the Wild Things Are, Fantastic Four, and Watchmen, and holds private workshops abroad and in his Los Angeles studio.

Elena Corriero
    Participant
    No badges. No points.

I’ve built the armature and I am wondering how to incorporate box and egg onto it. I don’t think just adding clay is an option for me at this stage!

I know David says ASIS to ASIS is 1 head, and I assume that would be the upper edge of the box.

For the width of the lower edge, would it be approximately the distance GT to GT? Would 1 1/4 be an accurate measure?

Lastly, would the bottom of the box line up (roughly) with the GT in a straight up pose?

Thanks

Elena

Daniel DaigleDaniel Daigle
    Keymaster
    No badges. No points.

Hi Elena, Id like to invite you to join the NMA discord server.
    Your question may be answered more quickly in the anatomy notes channel
    https://discord.gg/xaZuaJQPPv

To try to answer your question: The anterior superior iliac spine is the top ridge of the pelvis. While it can be thought of as approximately a head length, it is also quite variable from person to person, This also changes through pregnancy. But that just depends on how accurate you are trying to be
    The greater trochanter width is also quite variable, it is often wider than the iliac crests, but sometimes it fall in line (especially on masculine bone structures). I recommend looking at x-rays and trying to imagine what the bones are doing on the particular model you are looking at.

Elena Corriero
    Participant
    No badges. No points.

Thank you Daniel! I’ve joined the server 🙂

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to use the forums. Sign Up for a free account or Sign In.