Figure Drawing | Part 6: Modeling Tone

Discuss on Discord Register Free

home Forums Courses & Lessons Discussion Figure Drawing | Part 6: Modeling Tone

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    New Masters AcademyNew Masters Academy
    Keymaster
    No badges. No points.

In this series, master draftsman Glenn Vilppu shares with you his approach to figure drawing. Each lesson will cover a new stage in Glenn’s process, including: Gesture, Spherical Forms, Box Forms, Cylindrical Forms, Basic Procedure, Modeling Tone, Direct Lighting, and Atmosphere. In this sixth lesson of the series, Glenn introduces you to the stages of rendering by beginning with modeling tone. Glenn begins with a lecture on modeling tone, followed by a demonstration. He will then take a look at some Old Master works to analyze their use of modeling tone. Next, you will get a chance to apply what you’ve learned in a timed figure drawing assignment. The lesson will conclude with Glenn’s approach to the assignment, allowing you to compare your work with his.

Materials

• Ritmo Charcoal Pencil
    • Faber-Castell Polychromos Pencil – Sanguine
    • Drawing Paper
    k.j.marhoon
    Participant
    No badges. No points.

There is a problem with playing the video continuously. The video always pause in every minute.

Best regards

Mehak Jain
    Participant
    No badges. No points.

I’ve been getting a little stuck when Mr. Vilppu introduces modeling tone. I think this might be because I’m not completely familar with anatomy and so, not able to break the muscles and such into simpler shapes and understand how they fit into one another thus, inabling me to put down tone correctly. Should one familarise themselves with anatomy before doing the lesson on modeling tone?

Daniel DaigleDaniel Daigle
    Keymaster
    No badges. No points.

Glenn has a pretty advanced understanding of anatomy, so it will be a very long road to match his skill level. but the concepts he teaches are quite fundamental.  Id recommend looking at Steve Hustons anatomy course since it its very constructive, and based on form, this will allow you to get around not knowing everything for a while. IMO
    Also Joshua will be doing a live stream anatomy course pretty soon. It may span a few years, but it will be the best way to really learn anatomy

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to use the forums. Sign Up for a free account or Sign In.