Figure Drawing in Light Pastels

Discuss on Discord Register Free

home Forums Courses & Lessons Discussion Figure Drawing in Light Pastels

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    New Masters AcademyNew Masters Academy
    Keymaster
    No badges. No points.

In this lesson with instructor George Pratt, you will learn to create figure drawings using light pastels on toned paper. George will demonstrate how he utilizes the tones of the paper as the dark values and draws only the lights of the figures. You will practice not copying the references yet creating drawings with good designs of shapes and gestures.

This lesson belongs to the course Pastel Figure Drawing. In this 5-week course, George Pratt will teach you how to draw the figure with pastels. You will be introduced to the importance of silhouette and visual landmarks while looking at examples of pastel artworks by the instructor. George will show you his unique approach to gesture drawing. You will learn how to capture the spirit of the poses using light, dark, and colored pastels on toned papers. After this course, you will be able to create drawings with only big shapes yet still carry excellent rhythms and arrangements.

Throughout this course, you’ll have access to the NMA community for feedback and critiques to improve your work as you progress.

marinos
    Participant
    No badges. No points.

I’m O K with the contour/gesture portion of the program but I’m having issues seeing how the nupastel figure shaping is achieved, could you demonstrate the line quality and pressure and how its achieved…….I’m experiencing just the same line no matter how I hold  the pastel in my  hand.

Steve McHale
    Participant
    No badges. No points.

I would like to see the camera placed closer to the NuPastel at key moments, for example, when George is doing interesting detail work. I get that it is all about the pressure, but he has some other clever approaches going on and we aren’t fully seeing it.

Daniel DaigleDaniel Daigle
    Keymaster
    No badges. No points.

Hi Steve, Thank you for the feedback. I forwarded this to my team 🙂

Leha Carpenter
    Participant
    No badges. No points.

From what I can see, he puts the main pressure on the left if looking for a band of color that is hard on the left and softer on the right. And then he flips the pressure to the right to create a band that is hard on the right and softer on the left. The best way to understand this is to do the first exercise in the series, where he has you play with the pastels and attempt to create a range of line variation, but basically, it’s all about directionally leaning into one or the other edge of the chalk.

Leha Carpenter
    Participant
    No badges. No points.

chalk pressure

Please forgive my “Photoshop finger painting,” but here is the basic idea. You get a hard line on the side you lean into, while applying general pressure on the “diamond,” as he calls it. The middle of the chalk will produce a softer gradation when you lean towards the outer part of the edge, and to flip the result, you just lean the other way.

Walker.M
    Participant
    No points.

George’s works are so beautiful but this course is too complicated. I am in France,  I could not find any materials suggested by teacher here  .  so I replaced by conté à Paris carré pastel, clairefontaine etival colour paper . I followed the course one by one but what I did is disaster , I donot know I need change paper or change pastel or change both, but the most difficult part is technique. I just donot know how the teacher actually did to achieve that gradation. it drived me crazy. I really love his work but I waste a lot of papers without getting anything , those papers are not cheap. I am not sure if I continue this course. frustrated

Daniel DaigleDaniel Daigle
    Keymaster
    No badges. No points.

Hi Walker, I recommend checking out our course guide
    https://s3.amazonaws.com/resources.nma.art/NMA-Course-Guide.pdf

This is much like a college curriculum where you have prerequisite classes that build upon each other. In the beginning courses you will learn everything you need to know about rendering. I will also add that many high level instructors make their techniques look effortless. like a samurai wielding a sword.  It takes lots of practice and discipline to control appropriately. It may take years to master a technique.

Besides that, you are welcome to check out our coaching program coaching.nma.art where an experienced coach will help guide you through your sticking points, regardless if its materials or technique.

You can also post on the NMA discord (link at the top of the page) where over 15,000 NMA students go to chat and share ideas. Im sure you will find some one there that has completed the course and can offer you more direct advice 🙂

I hope this helps steer you in the right direction

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

You must be logged in to use the forums. Sign Up for a free account or Sign In.