Elena’s 100 Day Challenge : Figure and anatomy drawing

Discuss on Discord Register Free

home Forums Challenges & Activities 100 Day Art Challenge Elena’s 100 Day Challenge : Figure and anatomy drawing

Viewing 15 posts - 121 through 135 (of 194 total)
  • Author
    ELENA BRIOLLET
    Participant
    No badges. No points.

Day 56.2:

ELENA BRIOLLET
    Participant
    No badges. No points.

Day 57:

ELENA BRIOLLET
    Participant
    No badges. No points.

Day 58.1:

ELENA BRIOLLET
    Participant
    No badges. No points.

Day 58.2:

Joshua JacoboJoshua Jacobo
    Keymaster
    No badges. No points.

Exciting thread. I recommend you focus on proportion as well as creating more of a sense of three dimensional form in your work.

ELENA BRIOLLET
    Participant
    No badges. No points.

Thank you for your advice Joshua. Indeed I need to focus on the figure construction to add some volume to the figures I draw… I hope that the sense of proportion will come with practice. Today I have drawn with pencil from a reference photo and I tried to put some more attention to the 3D rendering. Then I have just added two other pictures for fun.

So here is my day 59:

Iliya MirochnikIliya Mirochnik
    Participant
    Instructor Badge
    No points.

Hi Elena,

I’m a big fan of the scribble drawing on the right! That’s a great way to build value fast and have interesting variation in line quality. I have one main suggestion and I think it’ll be obvious when I point it out. If you look at the 2 side drawings, the left and right one, you can see that you’re naturally grouping values together so there’s little confusion of what is light, dark, halftone, reflected light, etc. In the drawing in the middle, the graphite one, these distinctions become a little convoluted – the cast shadows are too distinct, the reflected lights are very bright, and most problematically, your half-tones are too dark. I recommend you begin the graphite drawings just like you did the ones in pen and marker, and very carefully build out from there. Graphite can of course offer more nuance, but I’d build up to that slowly, making sure the large tonal relationships read from a distance. Other than that, I like the drawings, although, I can’t help but mention, the abdomen is a tad long, the distance between the rib cage and pelvis is only a hand‘s width.

Keep up the great work and I’ll be checking in!

Best,

Iliya

ELENA BRIOLLET
    Participant
    No badges. No points.

Hi Ilya,

Thank you so much for your comment! It is very detailed and I really appreciate your pieces of advice and your encouragement.

Indeed, it is obvious that I have many things to work on, starting with structure and more accurate value analysis without mentioning the anatomy issues J

So today I am coming back to basics with one long study of the skull and two fast sketches.

Day 60.1:

ELENA BRIOLLET
    Participant
    No badges. No points.

Day 60.2:

Iliya MirochnikIliya Mirochnik
    Participant
    Instructor Badge
    No points.

Hi Elena,

Keep up the great work on all this anatomy. I totally agree that some of the quick studies are a good way to practice the essential elements and forms of the skull. I did a draw over making corrections to your most recent post. I would recommend doing some of them in a strictly structural way, without the details at all. The Gottfried Bammes anatomy book is a good place to look.

I’ll be checking in!

Best,

Iliya

ELENA BRIOLLET
    Participant
    No badges. No points.

Hi Iliya,

I am so grateful for your comments and the last draw over! Some details become clearer, thank you for your help!

I have also tried to look for Gottfried Bammes method online, but finally preferred to buy a book which I should receive now on Monday…

All these skulls stressed me today and I decided to draw just some basic forms in order to place several heads in space.

During the weekend I will try to study facial muscles. It will let me than come back to the skull at the beginning of the next week and to continue with torso afterwords…

So here is my day 61:

ELENA BRIOLLET
    Participant
    No badges. No points.

Day 62:

ELENA BRIOLLET
    Participant
    No badges. No points.

Day 63.1:

ELENA BRIOLLET
    Participant
    No badges. No points.

Day 63.2:

ELENA BRIOLLET
    Participant
    No badges. No points.

Day 64.1:

Viewing 15 posts - 121 through 135 (of 194 total)

You must be logged in to use the forums. Sign Up for a free account or Sign In.