Dane’s 100 Day Art Challenge: Color Illustration

Discuss on Discord Register Free

home Forums Challenges & Activities 100 Day Art Challenge Dane’s 100 Day Art Challenge: Color Illustration

Viewing 12 posts - 16 through 27 (of 27 total)
  • Author
    DaneThibeault
    Participant
    No points.

Thank you everyone! I really like the idea of pushing the graphic shapes. Maybe for one of my upcoming daily challenges I will try and take this even further. I appreciate the feedback!

Dane

DaneThibeault
    Participant
    No points.

Day Three,

Hi everyone! For day three’s colour illustration I decided to do another dino, this time experimenting with a dramatic comic book aesthetic. I really like using a complimentary orange-blue scheme, and with this piece, I tried to push towards having one complement dominate, in this case the blue or cool tones. I also experimented with introducing some selective yellow and red accents for interest. It’s still a bit rough, so I’d like to maybe go back in down the road and keep working on it.

DaneThibeault
    Participant
    No points.

Day Four,

Today’s colour illustration is a quick landscape scene. I’m experimenting with digital oil brushes, and using some of the massing techniques I learned from the Ben Fenske landscape series.  The details could use a lot of refinement, but my main goal was to break the image down into manageable zones of value and colour. I haven’t done a lot of landscape work in the past, but I find that I’m really enjoying it since I started the Ben Fenske series! 

Joshua JacoboJoshua Jacobo
    Keymaster
    No badges. No points.

Nice work. Try to organize your areas of value a bit more clearly. Bill Perkins’ composition course on this is amazing. Also check out the intro to landscape course Hu Ben Fenske. Keep it up!

DaneThibeault
    Participant
    No points.

Thanks Joshua! I will check out those composition videos!

Dane

Josseline JeriaJosseline Jeria
    Participant
    No badges. No points.

Dane, I love the Dino! The colour scheme looks great. I like the overall sense of gesture in his head and neck. Could be good to make his facial expression a bit more exaggerated to go with that vibe. Would bit fitting for this style of image too.

Nice landscape. Though the clouds you could consider as a separate mass, given they are within a similar plane space as the sky, I think the value can lighten up a number of notches. It’s real hard when it comes to colour, but keep working in clarifying your value structure for clear separation of your masses. I struggle with this but once I’m back to doing some more colour work again, I’m going to make this a focus.  I’ve watched through some of Fenkse’ course. I’m looking forward to properly sitting down to do it, though it may be a while till I can do plein-air. Maybe photo references to start? How are you finding the course so far?

Are you familiar with Fenkse’ work outside of this course? There’s an exhibition on at the moment called Fenkse and friends in the Grenning gallery. On their instagram page they are posting lots of the paintings that are part of it, including longer videos talking about some of the works. Some really fantastic pieces and artists.

DaneThibeault
    Participant
    No points.

Hi Josseline,

Thank you for your feedback! I actually wasn’t familiar with Ben Fenske before NMA, but I really like his teaching style, and the course is really useful for more specific things that often get glossed over when people are talking about landscapes, like how to actually paint a cloud. Also, thanks for the note about the exhibition, as I am really interested in learning more about landscape painting, and it certainly wouldn’t hurt to familiarize myself with the experts!

Dane

DaneThibeault
    Participant
    No points.

Day Five,

Today I decided to do my daily figure drawing in colour, using toned paper. I used a combination of indigo blue coloured pencil and white chalk, with a tiny bit of white gel pen here and there. The technique is inspired by a combination of Steve Huston and the Danny Galeote video where he uses a combination of hatching and tone to draw Michelangelo sculptures. I would like to draw larger in the future because I feel the details could use a lot of work. I enjoyed experimenting though with simultaneous contrast, and varying values slightly within the shadow areas to imitate variations in skin tone.

Joshua JacoboJoshua Jacobo
    Keymaster
    No badges. No points.

Nice work! Big improvement!

Participant
    No badges. No points.

You’re welcome, Dane. I remember the first time I tried painting a cloud was following some tutorial. Lots of flat stippling with a large mop brush. Not the most refined way of doing so. I haven’t done any since, but will get to it when I plan to do Fenkse’s course. Yeah the gallery has some great landscape artists on there. The gallery mentioned those group of painters paint all during the day, mostly outside, and then draw indoors at night. Long time goal for me is to get there.

Nice drawing! I’ve not done single, a4 sized figure studies yet. I’m learning about light and tone for gesture drawings at the moment. I’d like to do some a4  sized master studies using tone. Yes definetely do some larger ones! That would be fun, allow you to use your shoulder more and work more broadly to more clearly work on forms, particularly the muscles. Keen to see your larger one when you attempt them 🙂

DaneThibeault
    Participant
    No points.

Day Six,

Today I decided to stick with figure drawing again, but I was interested in seeing how I could add some colour interest to a pencil sketch. I used photoshop to add a warm tone that is intended to capture the energy of her pose. I learned this colorization method from Chris Legaspi’s Photoshop for Artists series, and I am excited to experiment with it even more because I still prefer drawing manually rather than digitally.

Participant
    No badges. No points.

I like the sense of flow in this drawing and how you’ve captured her hair. I’m a sucker for colour, I have to make myself use neutral mediums.

Viewing 12 posts - 16 through 27 (of 27 total)

You must be logged in to use the forums. Sign Up for a free account or Sign In.