Composite’s 100 Days of Figure Drawing

Discuss on Discord Register Free

home Forums Challenges & Activities 100 Day Art Challenge Composite’s 100 Days of Figure Drawing

Viewing 7 posts - 16 through 22 (of 22 total)
  • Author
    CompositeComposite
    Participant
    No points.

Day 10. I picked up a water brush today and I’ve only used it a tiny bit, but I love it! It was so fun to try out using it like I’ve seen in Glenn Vilppu’s demonstrations. I also showed my sketchbook to a professional artist friend of mine and she had nice things to say about my gesture sketches, which gave me a lot of confidence.

I have to say, I’m really enjoying drawing right now! Since I let go of beating myself up for drawing badly, I feel like I’ve improved faster than before. Ironically, letting go of my expectations has produced far better results than when I was super-focused on the end product and being so frustrated about it.

I think I’m gradually getting a feel for gesture and describing 3D form, but my lines need to become more accurate. I think more practise will help with that. These drawings were done pretty quickly as I was previously copying Glenn Vilppu at his pace, so I carried on the momentum.

I’m a bit too tired to draw any more today, but I really look forward to more drawing tomorrow! It’s making me really happy to pursue this hobby that I’ve been keen about for so many years, but never committed to quite like this.

CompositeComposite
    Participant
    No points.

Day 11. I started a new sketchbook today! I also bought a little easel yesterday, so I can tilt my paper towards me, which should enable me to use more “proper” pencil techniques. I also tried sharpening my pencil with a blade and then sandpaper, rather than a pencil sharpener. I’m still a noob at this, but I want to use the proper materials and techniques. I would have liked to spend more time today, but I got busy doing other stuff and I had to press through end-of-evening tiredness to get my drawings done. I’m really keen to keep up my commitment to this challenge! No day shall go without putting pencil to paper!

CompositeComposite
    Participant
    No points.

Day 12. It’s been another very, very busy day for me, leaving me tired when it was time to begin my drawing session. However I got through a 25-minute figure drawing session (Lilias from Daily Life Drawing Sessions). There’s not really that much to say about it, other than that I’m consolidating the skills I’ve been practicing. Those are: Describing the gesture and describing forms in 3D space.

I feel like I’m getting more accurate drawing with the pen from the shoulder, which surprised me! My lines are going where I intend a lot more of the time, so I’m really happy about that! Maybe I would get better results if I were to slow down a bit, as the lines of these drawings were put down very quickly.

I’ll see how I go tomorrow!

CompositeComposite
    Participant
    No points.

Day 13. This is what I managed today. I’ve tried drawing on an easel and it feels very awkward. A flat surface is much more comfortable. I think I can maybe do a bit better than this, but this is what I came out with. At least I put some lines down today.

CompositeComposite
    Participant
    No points.

Day 14. I used the easel again today. First I copied Vilppu’s lines for the same session I tried on my own yesterday, then I tried a new set of figures until I ran out of energy for the day.

I feel like my lines are chaotic and sometimes they all meld into a mess that obscures the figure. I’d like to try and be a bit more purposeful with my lines.

CompositeComposite
    Participant
    No points.

Day 15. I think I get my best results with a pen, and I enjoy using one. I continued the daily drawing session from yesterday and did a bit of the next one. I think I’m beginning to grasp some of the concepts of gesture, and I can get some of the mood and feeling of the figure. I’m still not there in terms of accuracy, but I intend to keep practicing!

I think it’s particularly helpful to have this daily commitment, otherwise there’s been so many days where I wouldn’t have bothered to draw because it’s late and I’m tired, or I didn’t have the time. This way, I’m -making- the time to do it, so I am definitely putting the hours into this. Even if it’s only 30 minutes a day, that’s 3.5 hours a week. So much better than 1-2 hours once a week. I’m sure it’s more helpful to do smaller, daily drawing sessions than longer, less frequent sessions.

Tomorrow I’ll have limited time too, but I want to see if I can spend a bit more time!

CompositeComposite
    Participant
    No points.

Day 16. Today was all following Glenn Vilppu as he drew. I’d already attempted these poses on my own previously. At this stage, I want to keep trying and narrowing down my process so I can draw more cleanly.

I think I put down far too many lines, because I’m not finding the best line for the situation. Instead, I’m drawing about five lines to try and get the feeling that should be captured with one. Sometimes the lines go in the wrong direction and I try to fix it, but my second attempt goes too far the other way, so I try to fix it again, etc, etc.

I’m nearing the end of the Dynamic Figure Drawing course, but I think I will require a lot more practise before I feel like I’ve properly assimilated what I’ve learned. So I will keep going! It’s really enjoyable when I feel like I’m getting somewhere like this. I reckon I’m starting to see some results, which is exciting! I am well aware that I have a very, very long way to go, but I am determined to continue on with my best effort every day!

Viewing 7 posts - 16 through 22 (of 22 total)

You must be logged in to use the forums. Sign Up for a free account or Sign In.