Color Theory I: Value

Discuss on Discord Register Free

home Forums Courses & Lessons Discussion Color Theory I: Value

Viewing 2 posts - 16 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • Author
    DanDan
    Participant
    No badges. No points.

you will always be influenced by the neighboring values, since value within a work can only be judged relative to the other values in the painting. They will always influence each other due to the fact that we only have those relationships to use to judge whether a value is “lighter or darker.”

One trick you can do to help identify values in a real life scenario is place a dash of pure black paint and a dash of pure white paint on your pallet near where you will be mixing. all values can be compared to those 2 colors, and you have effectively created a “bracket” of values (everything will be darker than the pure white, everything lighter than the pure black) and you can use that to then work your way up from the darkest value, by identifying the next darkest value, then the next step up, etc. You can also alter this bracket to help created different moods or keys in your paintings by deciding that, for example, a mid range value will be your darkest value.  You could mix that color at the start and place a dash of that color on your pallet, and throughout your painting compare your values to that original color, making sure that nothing in your painting exceeds that value in darkness.

Federico Sibella
    Participant
    No points.

Hello everybody, I think I have a conceptual doubt regarding how to transition from the matrix to the rendered image. I mean.. Once I have a working matrix, that is conveying the mood I planned, should I start over and use it as a guide?

Thanks for the support folks!

Best,

Federico

Viewing 2 posts - 16 through 17 (of 17 total)

You must be logged in to use the forums. Sign Up for a free account or Sign In.