Channelle’s 100 Days of Head Drawing

Discuss on Discord Register Free

home Forums Challenges & Activities 100 Day Art Challenge Channelle’s 100 Days of Head Drawing

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 70 total)
  • Author
    Channelle Carnie
    Participant
    No badges. No points.

Hello!

I’m Channelle, and I do love a challenge… I’m not going to be too tough on myself, since 100 days is a solid commitment, but I challenge myself to do at least one head drawing every day. It can be human or animal, as long as it’s a head, and any medium, though I plan to primarily work in pencil on paper, since my hand injury still flares up with too much digital work.

I’m giving myself the freedom to have fun with these – they don’t need to be realistic every time, and I want to be able to do serious studies with human reference, fun fan art of existing characters I like, and also heads from imagination.

I hope that in doing so, I’ll gain more confidence in drawing heads again, and be able to do portraits for people some day.

Wish me luck!

Channelle Carnie
    Participant
    No badges. No points.

OK, day 1! It’s a fan art head drawing haha. My fiancé and I are watching Initial D while we do drawing study, so I figured I’d draw the main character.

Day 1

Channelle Carnie
    Participant
    No badges. No points.

Day 2! It’s a self-portrait. I drew it quite fast because my fiancé came home as I was sitting in front of the mirror sketching my face lol. Somehow it was a bit embarrassing.

Day 2

Channelle Carnie
    Participant
    No badges. No points.

Day 3! A friend of mine suggested I draw him! Drew a bit more than the head and panicked when I realised I was in over my head drawing the drumset lol.

Day 6

Channelle Carnie
    Participant
    No badges. No points.

Day 4! Almost forgot to do it today! Gave up on the first one (referencing the lady playing Penelope in Bridgestone) and resorted to another self-portrait so I’d have something somewhat finished haha.

Patrick Young
    Participant
    No badges. No points.

These are great Channelle!  I particularly like day 2 and day 4.

Channelle Carnie
    Participant
    No badges. No points.

Thanks @Patrick Young! Haha if you say that, I’ll probably just do more self-portraits like that. They’re certainly fun.

Day 5! I attempted to draw a comedian, pausing his face during his comedy show video. Drew one face and hated it, tried another angle and also hated it. Oh well! That’s drawing life.

PaulDidier
    Participant
    No points.

Very nice. Way get off to a very strong start! I’ll definitely be watching your posts. At this rate I think your improvement will be awesome!

Channelle Carnie
    Participant
    No badges. No points.

@PaulDidier Thank you!! I hope so too. I love drawing faces but I hope by the 100th one there’ll be much more knowledge in my head drawings.

Day 6 is… well, an imagination drawing. I looked at my bookshelf for a character idea and Noddy from my childhood was the one that stood out haha. I took this page as a reference.

Channelle Carnie
    Participant
    No badges. No points.

Day 7! I used a reference on NMA of a lady called Maude. I’m really aware of how little I understand how to show the different planes of the face (and also how unfamiliar I am with the planes themselves) so I’m gonna keep working on skull studies too. Having said that, this is one of the few times I’ve drawn a face that’s facing upwards, and feel like I didn’t draw it too warped. Small victories!

Channelle Carnie
    Participant
    No badges. No points.

Day 8! One fanart from imagination (another Initial D drawing), and one reference drawing (and fanart) from the 3 Idiots movie that I saw today.

And a bonus fanart head drawing I did last night of the protagonist in Franken, which is a neat short game on itch.io I played yesterday!

Channelle Carnie
    Participant
    No badges. No points.

Day 9! Used another NMA reference of Maude. Today my challenge for myself was not to rely on line, and to try draw by shading. I was hoping it might improve my awareness of plane changes. It was also fun to just draw loosely and freely and not worry about making something crisp and clear, or identical to the reference.

One thing that I really liked about this was just looking at angles and copying the angles I saw, rather than letting my brain take over and do guesswork of what angles I expected the head should be. I know I shouldn’t get too used to copying what I see, but with faces tilted like this, I think it’s OK to see that the angles are different from what we would assume when we put pencil to paper (especially the forehead!!).

Also, I drew it all holding the pencil in that fine arts way for once! Not like a writing pen haha. It’s hard for me, so I’m pleased that I stuck to it and didn’t give up.

Channelle Carnie
    Participant
    No badges. No points.

Day 10! Some fanart, trying to draw cartoon characters realistically again.

Channelle Carnie
    Participant
    No badges. No points.

Day 11! I did draw it on time but forgot to post it because I was watching the Survivor finale hahaha.

It’s an an imagination doodle half inspired by one of the players.

Channelle Carnie
    Participant
    No badges. No points.

Day 12! Not a good day for my head drawing – just rushed an imagination head now but I really need to go to bed.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 70 total)

You must be logged in to use the forums. Sign Up for a free account or Sign In.