Cecilia’s 100 Day Challenge: Draw all the Bones!

Discuss on Discord Register Free

home Forums Challenges & Activities 100 Day Art Challenge Cecilia’s 100 Day Challenge: Draw all the Bones!

Tagged: 

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 88 total)
  • Author
    CeciliaVedbergCeciliaVedberg
    Participant
    No badges. No points.

I will make a drawing every day from my newly bought plastic skeleton.I will take a new bone every day.
    I will spend 2-4 hours a day, depending on how much time I have.
    I want to get better observational skills by drawing objects from life and I want to learn more about anatomy.
    I will for example hold the bone in my hand when drawing it, for to get a feeling of the size of the bone, compared to someting familiar.

Excuse me if the English is not perfectly written, I am from and live in Sweden.

• This topic was modified 3 years, 11 months ago by Joshua JacoboJoshua Jacobo.
    • This topic was modified 3 years, 11 months ago by Joshua JacoboJoshua Jacobo.
    Participant
    No badges. No points.

Participant
    No badges. No points.

This post is Day one:
    Os frontale (frontal bone) with glabella and processus zygomaticus of the frontal bone in focus of my attention.
    Standing in daylight from the window with my drawing today made me realize a lot about light sources. The sun came and went away again, so hilights and shadows came and dissapeared. I became more and more aware of the form of the object when this happened.

Joshua JacoboJoshua Jacobo
    Keymaster
    No badges. No points.

Nice work. Try to clarify the change in plane that we get from the center of the forehead to the sides as the frontal eminence ends.

Participant
    No badges. No points.

Thanks, I will work on it a bit more//Cecilia

Josseline JeriaJosseline Jeria
    Participant
    No badges. No points.

Hi Cecilia and welcome. I’m looking forward to watching your work throughout your challenge. Are you taking any courses here on NMA? I really like how you’ve incorporated your hand with the drawing, rather than drawing the skull placed on a flat surface. More of a challenge for yourself and makes for a more artistically interesting drawing, least for me.

LuceroLucero
    No badges. No points.

This is an ambitious challenge! I’m excited to see more. Keep it up, we’re rooting for you.

Participant
    No badges. No points.

Day 2Hello and thanks, I have been a subscriber for 2 years now. The first year I followed Steve Huston and Bill Perkins lessons.  During 2019 I have been following all the lessons by Iliya Mirochnik and Rey Bustos. This 100 Day challenge is about getting a deeper understanding of classical figure drawing, starting with the bones an then build upon it. My goal is to draw the figure in landscape from imagination.  I am deeply impressed of the high quality in all your lessons at NMA, there is so much to learn. I´ll repost the changes I mede from day one and then what I made of the important bone os zygomaticus, according to the time I could spend on it today.

Josseline JeriaJosseline Jeria
    Participant
    No badges. No points.

I like the learning direction you’ve given yourself throughout the two years on here. The quality of the courses on here is outstanding. Your goal sounds wonderful – an admirable and ambitious one. I think the compositional aspect that would go with creating that kind of drawing would be beautifully engaging and challenging.

Good improvements on day 1 and nice drawings for day 2.

Participant
    No badges. No points.

Day 3

Hello, today I spent 3 hours together with os maxillaris dx. Actually there are 3 more bones on the maxillaris pice of my skull model (my anatomical skull has 14 oieces). On this picture you can see os nasale  and os lacrimale as well. I will come back to this piece of grouped bones for two or three days.
    Here I covered the windows and put a little spotlight on the object.

Joshua JacoboJoshua Jacobo
    Keymaster
    No badges. No points.

Well done! One thing I always found interesting on the maxilla is how much the teeth project or lean forward. Are you sure you’ve captured that enough in this drawing compared to your specimen? Also I would work on your values since the little darks around the teeth are jumping out at us more than any other forms. I would imagine that you want to stress the larger forms as a priority over smaller.

PaulDidier
    Participant
    No points.

This is a great challenge Cecilia! One that I should do too. Appreciate you’re describing in detail the names of the bones. It will help me learn as I follow along with your progress.

roughlyjeffrey
    Participant
    No badges. No points.

can i ask where you found a skeleton and what it cost you?

Laura EspinosaLaura Espinosa
    Participant
    No badges. No points.

Great drawings! I like the topic you choose for this challenge.

Participant
    No badges. No points.

Day 4
    Hello. Thanks a lot for the comments! I reworked the drawing an now I think the row of teeth comes a bit more forward. I moved the darks away from the teeth  and is satisfied with the result.
    Today I still worked on os maxillaris from a new angle. It became very heavy for the shoulder to hold the model in the hand, so I used transparent tape and put the bone on a acrylic glass in a suitable position.

I bought my models from Germany, AKSE GbR. They have an online shop with english translation.
    A whole disarticulated Human skeleton costed 272 Euro.
    A 14-piece skull model costed 286 Euro. This was from the brand SOMSO , which is very expensive.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 88 total)

You must be logged in to use the forums. Sign Up for a free account or Sign In.