Carrie’s 100 Day Challenge: Figure Drawing and Foundations

Discuss on Discord Register Free

home Forums Challenges & Activities 100 Day Art Challenge Carrie’s 100 Day Challenge: Figure Drawing and Foundations

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 31 total)
  • Author
    Carrie Snow
    Participant
    No points.

After my initial trial last spring, I finally was able to fully subscribe to NMA about two and a half weeks ago (Dec 18th 2020) and have been studying daily, trying to figure out where I’m at and what I’m interested in. I have an art Instagram @csnow.amateurhour that I started for this to see my development and silly stuff, but intend to start posting with more deliberate intention on building skill. My goal is to work on figure drawing, structure, and proportion as well as continuing to revisit foundations.

Carrie Snow
    Participant
    No points.

Before and after taking the first few sessions of Glenn Vilppu’s gesture courses. The before was drawn during the live drawing session and I realized how in no way, shape, or form (unintended pun) could I get those type of results so I started the course. It really illustrated to me that there are concepts that I’m really going to have to soul search in order to grasp, but I’m willing to do my best to try and come to an understanding of them.

The ‘after’ includes all three drawings of Yoni’s first poses from the live drawing vids.

since then I plan on practicing these methods daily, I spent a good 6 hours trying to grasp concepts on many many sketches following but will have to keep trying.

Carrie Snow
    Participant
    No points.

A few from today, moving forward may help me conceptualize the ideas, if not, I will continue on the fundamentals of the course.

I’m also fighting the way I hold the pencil which is a whole new skill in itself but is getting a little easier over time.

Day 2

Other funsie from today is my second charcoal portrait ever! The likeness is a lil funky and she’s recognizable because of her accessories, but I think I gave her many elements from my own knowledge bank of my own face, so she has some more Asian-like features than I’d like on her, considering.

<span style=”-webkit-tap-highlight-color: rgba(0, 0, 0, 0);”>https://s3.amazonaws.com/uploads.forum.nma.art/1082844/t9ghzk60oqlyr77r0ba3kraukju098ys.jpeg</span>

• This reply was modified 3 years, 2 months ago by Carrie Snow.
    Carrie Snow
    Participant
    No points.

Other stuff that I post, like the portrait, are done for exercising other skills, such as rendering and getting used to new tools and materials. Pretty much all of the tools are fairly new to me other than high school art classes and short lived-dabbling.

Carrie Snow
    Participant
    No points.

Not fully understanding spherical forms so I will be coming back to the lesson often. Also I’m not sure if that’s because I’m having issues with volume, anatomical, or distracting features of the model but will just keep working on it.

I’d like to to try and make my own 3D figure eventually. For now, I just took the intro sculpture class (partially) and did the best I could with a chopstick and a spoon for tools lol. Didn’t do the shapes because I don’t have a setup yet to suspend but might do that after I figure out how time constraining my school class load will be.

Carrie Snow
    Participant
    No points.

College courses started this week. As a first day, we all worked on personal interest, however, it’s strange because you can’t see anyone else’s work (or vice versa) only their faces.

Tried a costumed pose but I wasn’t comfortable understanding so I tried to undress her to understand it, then ended up moving through her pose catalog to better understand the model. By the end of the week I hope to have a costumed drawing for assignment.

Pivoting to add in costume and drapery as much as I can by then.

Carrie Snow
    Participant
    No points.

I felt I should try and challenge myself for my first in-school assignment by moving around my light source and ended up with some challenges about preplanning my light areas. Bought some toned paper and am trying that out for the first time to see if I can better understand how I need to set it up my initial values so I won’t end up trying to subtract them until the paper gives up.

(Day 5)

Carrie Snow
    Participant
    No points.

Played around on her for the last time, have to turn her in for homework. Instead of continuing to fight the values already down, sealed it up so I can move on and work on something else. I’d like to revisit the idea of the moving light at the end of the semester.

I also badly lost track of her arm and am better off starting over another time.

(Day 6)

Carrie Snow
    Participant
    No points.

Before and after progress of 24 days. The first day I tried the Asaro head planes, I just went for it to get a starting reference. I didn’t even hate it… which is funny now. This time, I drew along with Iliya’s lesson and am happy to see significant difference. Hopefully a month from now I can be pleasantly surprised again.

(Day 7)

Carrie Snow
    Participant
    No points.

shaking things up a bit for myself with ink and watercolor. The idea being that I have to be more deliberate with each mark (with the pen at least, the watercolor were just experimenting and fun)

(Day 8)

JanJan
    Participant
    No badges. No points.

Very nice work! You had a great deal of ability at the beginning of your challenge, and your progress is evident already. NMA is an incredible resource, and I’m sure you will go far considering your dedication.

You mentioned in your post on the Asaro head planes that you were following allowing with Iliya, and I agree that the change between the two drawings is impressive! Iliya’s teaching is fantastic! I also like drawing along with him in real time during his lessons. Doing this has been enormously helpful to my own development as well. You did a great job on the Asaro head planes drawing. One thing I wanted to mention is make sure all the lines on the face are parallel or slightly converging. It’s something Iliya talks about in that particular lesson that I completely missed until another NMA poster kindly pointed it out to me. If you want to see Erik’s helpful draw over, you can click on my name and then go Reply #6787799 in my Planes of the Head post (under Topics Started). You might find his advice as valuable as I did. I look forward to seeing more of your work!

• This reply was modified 3 years, 2 months ago by JanJan.
    Carrie Snow
    Participant
    No points.

Thank you so much for your encouragement, I’ve always wanted to nurture my artistic side but it had always ended in frustration. The courses and community here at NMA have really gotten me past a lot of my discouragement and a little of my shyness, I really look forward to the year to come watching everyone and myself develop.

I’m going to revisit the Asaro head again with that in mind.. I guess maybe because I was drawing along with him I may have been so preoccupied with other areas that I completely didn’t realize how off the perspective was… that being said, I can see now (I was so oblivious to it when I finished though) that I need to visit the perspective crash course before I try again, I do kind of skip around a bit.

Thank you so much for your feedback!

Carrie Snow
    Participant
    No points.

A day late but this was day 9, was just too tired to post by the end of the day.

Carrie Snow
    Participant
    No points.

Caught the majority of Masters Monday (did not have a submission since I didn’t see last weeks—will hopefully have time this week to do one between this, work, and school), I’m loving how helpful the criticisms are in helping to see how to develop the drawing.

Also some quick gestures and relaxing time on a dog and a strange large cat today. 

(Day 10)

Carrie Snow
    Participant
    No points.

WIP, I still have about half an hour left to follow along. However, I might just redo it because this is so small in comparison on only 9×12. Need to grab some larger smooth paper

(Day 11)

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 31 total)

You must be logged in to use the forums. Sign Up for a free account or Sign In.