Carbon figure for critique

Discuss on Discord Register Free

home Forums Art & Artwork Open Critique Carbon figure for critique

Tagged: 

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    Carlise Azmitia
    Participant
    No badges. No points.

Last year when I started NMA I went crazy with figure sketching. Thought it was a good place to start. But then I fell in love with portraits and head drawing that figures got pushed to the side.

During this stay at home time I am diving in all areas so I can improve.

Here is one of my latest sketches I would love some insight on. Hoping it will help in my quest to be a well rounded artist. Thank you:

I took quick snapshots of my process. My prelim sketch, my prelim values and my finished. Figure photo from Draw this! 

Tanisha
    Participant
    No badges. No points.

First I would try pushing the darks darker, since when you squint at it everything appears to be one value which in turn makes it look flat. Keeping the focal point in mind should help, then you can figure out where to put the most contrast. Second, the back leg is a little unsatisfactory, maybe because we can’t see the connection? Also, it seems to be creating a non-intentional tension point( a tangent) where both legs touch each other.

Hope this helps! Also, I hope your piece gets picked up so you can get much more amazing feedback!

Carlise Azmitia
    Participant
    No badges. No points.

Tanisha, thank you so, so much for your incredible feedback. I adjusted the image by lightening the background a bit – fixed the bum leg – made my lights and darks more prominent. I think what was messing my sight up was the original image has a dark background and dramatic lighting. Hope my adjustments made it better. 

Tanisha
    Participant
    No badges. No points.

Yuup!! an improvement for sure!!

Since the reference had a darker background, everything else would surely appear lighter, in comparison, remember value is relational. Also, try to define the terminator while keeping in mind the form type, the halftones then should help roll the form.

Really glad you found this helpful!!

Carlise Azmitia
    Participant
    No badges. No points.

Tanisha, thank you so much from the bottom of my heart for taking the time with me. Your insight will live in me from now on. Thoroughly grateful!! ❤

Joshua JacoboJoshua Jacobo
    Keymaster
    No badges. No points.

I agree with everything Tanisha said. Your light and dark sides need to visually group better. I would also add that you could work on improving your gesture. There are nice curves on the outlines but it could be even more fluid. Look at Karl Gnass and Glenn Vilppu’s courses for this.

Tanisha
    Participant
    No badges. No points.

aahaha no problem at all( am shy to such kind words)! Glad I could be of help, recently one of the artworks that I posted got reviewed by Chris, got great feedback, doesn’t hurt to give back to the community!

Also, I might not be able to check this critique post regularly since I am planning to do the 100-day challenge thing, so if you want my help in the future you can drop by my post.

I know its quite hard when you are trying to work through your skills, but the most important thing is to stick with it and persist consistently!!

Carlise Azmitia
    Participant
    No badges. No points.

Joshua, thank you so much. I started Karl’s course and I think it is going to help me a lot, especially with getting away from wanting to copy and trust my gut. I like his straight on explanations! TY!!

Tanisha, that is so amazing that you got critiqued. I feel so honored that you chose to help me out! Good luck with the 100 day, looking forward to seeing your work! 🙂

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

You must be logged in to use the forums. Sign Up for a free account or Sign In.