Beach and hotel where I live charcoal sketch

Discuss on Discord Register Free

home Forums Art & Artwork Open Critique Beach and hotel where I live charcoal sketch

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 16 total)
  • Author
    TimTim
    Participant
    No badges. No points.

JanJan
    Participant
    No badges. No points.

I’m still amazed that you’re new to drawing! This is a great sketch. I really like your handling of the medium as well as the composition. I might push the atmospheric perspective and soften the outline of the hotel a little more to create more depth. The handling of the cattails and grasses is very nice. The “mood” of the piece draws me in too!

TimTim
    Participant
    No badges. No points.

Thanks Jan super kind of you  , I have dabbled in the past to be fair , but this is my first  encounter with techniques etc

I must say the beginners guide to drawing on here is fantastic.

What have you been drawing?

Tim

Raven KushnerRaven Kushner
    Participant
    No badges. No points.

I really like both the foreground and sky the best. The sky is very subtly done and provides great atmosphere. The foreground feels close because of how well you handled the contrast between the shrubbery and the ground in front of us. The building also looks far away and is well done. The middle seems to be where it falls apart for me. I’m not sure what I’m supposed to be looking at, or what you’re wanting to emphasize. I wonder if pushing the building back and to the right, and giving us more water to look at, or, conversely, bringing the building forward, might make it more clear who is the star of this drawing.

TimTim
    Participant
    No badges. No points.

Hi Raven

Thanks it’s really kind of you to take the time , to offer this very helpful critique , I often draw this view , and will bear in mind your useful observations next time .it’s great to have a fresh pair of eyes  seeing this view only in charcoal rather  than reality .So interesting that the wonderful beach I saw I may not have got across .

I look forward to seeing more of your work

Kind regards

Tim

JanJan
    Participant
    No badges. No points.

Good comments from Raven! I really like the way you handled the sky, too. I agree with her suggestion to create more of a focal point.

In answer to your question, I’ve been working recently on drapery studies, and I just posted the skull drawing I completed for the October challenge on the NMA Discord server. The work submitted was amazing! I hope they will repost all of the entries in addition to the winners. I would recommend registering for Discord if you haven’t already!

TimTim
    Participant
    No badges. No points.

Hi Jan good luck with you skull drawing entry  , be good to see some of your drapery studies  thanks for the Discord server tip  .

Re Ravens critique it was good to think can I change the reality of this landscape can I communicating what I see /feel  folal point etc I went up on the cliff today and doubled the size of the inner harbour and beach .  It’s so useful getting feedback .

Keep safe

Tim

Vaibhav SinghVaibhav Singh
    Participant
    No badges. No points.

Beautiful work..i like how you have composed the sketch. The zigzag bridges are acting as directional lines and driving my eyes to the main focus the building.

TimTim
    Participant
    No badges. No points.

Hi  looking at Ravens helpful critique I decided to make the beach twice it’s a total size to shift the focal point ,this is just a 6b graphite sketch

TimTim
    Participant
    No badges. No points.

JanJan
    Participant
    No badges. No points.

Hi Tim! This is looking great. I like the adjustments you’ve made. I might push a higher contrast in the shrubbery and cattails like in the first version. I think it would help the foreground come forward even more. I don’t feel completely qualified to comment on perspective, however. I’m currently reviewing the beginning perspective lessons to refresh the fundamentals I learned a very long time ago and never practiced. So, take my comments accordingly haha. It’s a very beautiful drawing!

TimTim
    Participant
    No badges. No points.

Hi Jan thanks for your kind review ,this feedback is so useful , looking forward to seeing more of your delicious drawings ,do you have any that are not related to your studies? I do 50% study 50% creative  fun  which tends to be landscapes with buildings .

Kind regards

Tim

srsanyal
    Participant
    No points.

I like the atmosphere and the  mood , although as a beginner  myself i would also emphasize on  getting my perspectives and forms correct. Hope to see more.

TimTim
    Participant
    No badges. No points.

Thanks srsanyal very kind of you to critique

Tim

Raven KushnerRaven Kushner
    Participant
    No badges. No points.

Wow, that re-do looks really great. It makes it so much more immediate and relatable! It feels very relaxing and soothing, like a childhood memory.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 16 total)

You must be logged in to use the forums. Sign Up for a free account or Sign In.