Alex’s 100 day art challenge

Discuss on Discord Register Free

home Forums Challenges & Activities 100 Day Art Challenge Alex’s 100 day art challenge

Tagged: 

Viewing 15 posts - 166 through 180 (of 284 total)
  • Author
    AlexAlex
    Participant
    No badges. No points.

Got bored and put my face/skull anatomy knowledge to the test by sculpting my putty rubber with my pencil into this demon thing without reference, almost a shame its my rubber and will have to be mushed up again :’)

AlexAlex
    Participant
    No badges. No points.

#50 HALF WAY!!! 😀

Anyone got any advice on drawing the pelvis? trying the proko method but its quite tricky.

AlexAlex
    Participant
    No badges. No points.

I keep forgetting to post, Ive been working on drawabox the past few days. cant remember where I put down the stack, but heres one from yesterday

DebraDebra
    Participant
    No points.

Hi Alex, thanks for sharing this. I like your constructive process and the ink lines. I had never heard of drawabox before so I checked it out and may do some of the exercises. I learned to draw with the contour , continuous line method and now want to “really” learn to draw using a constructive approach.

AlexAlex
    Participant
    No badges. No points.

#52 some more drawabox I did today

AlexAlex
    Participant
    No badges. No points.

@debracavillon Hi Debra, happy to hear you like my posts. Yes, I definitely recommend learning the construction approach. Abandon the contour approach in favour of focus on construction and also attention to the silhouette. Construction is the only way to draw freely without the need of reference. It also improves observational drawings as you can imbue the drawing with more structure and your knowledge of the subject as opposed to just trying to copy a flat optical effect. Learning these methods have been a real game changer for my art recently. I hope you have the same experience with it 🙂

AlexAlex
    Participant
    No badges. No points.

#53 drawabox intersections lesson with freehand cubes. Still find drawing cubes in correct perspective freehand very hard, if anyone has any good exercises or sources to look at to help get how to do it, please let me know.

Joshua JacoboJoshua Jacobo
    Keymaster
    No badges. No points.

I think the best way to learn how to draw boxes in perspective is by really plotting them out correctly. Once you’re really comfortable with that “sketch perspective” becomes much easier.

AlexAlex
    Participant
    No badges. No points.

@joshuajacobo Hi joshua, I agree really that it will proably come with time. I’ve just been doing drawabox lessons as well and they dont allow to use grids or even plot your horizon line. Their discord community is a bit unwelcoming really as people on there can be quite petty and condescending when giving critiques, they will flat out refuse to crit the work if rulers or perspective grids have been used. bit of a ball ache really, but the lessons are quite good and offer quite a bit of helpful instruction besides sketch perspective.

Anyway, Im sort of dabbling in it, I thought I would fair okay since I have gotten quite good with perspective grids, heres some drawings I did a few weeks ago after studying Scott Robertson’s How to Draw. let me know what you think

Marcolino EstuardoMarcolino Estuardo
    Participant
    No badges. No points.

Hi Alex. Good study throughout your thread. Keep it up. Regarding drawing boxes, did you learn by drawing them by eye or did you jump right into theory?

Those vehicles are looking solid. I have Scott’s book. Great info!

AlexAlex
    Participant
    No badges. No points.

@stuart-1188 hi Marcolino, thanks for the kind comments. Ive done quite a lot of theory of perspective, Ive looked at Perspective Made Easy by Ernest Norling, perspective for comic book artists, How to Draw, and some of Marshall Vandruff’s 12 dollar perspective course from his website. Also, I have a workbook from Matthew Brehm called Perspective: How to see it, How to draw it. which is quite nice as it also has a workbook in it with 100 perspective drawing tasks to complete. Other than that Ive done a bit of drawabox and looked at Krenz Cushart’s gumroad videos called ‘Angle Control.’ 

Ive not got much out of the Krenz Cushart or Drawabox stuff yet as Im finding it hard to visualise in my minds eye exactlty the horizon line and the vanishing points for each angle. Its slowly coming together though, it is probably just mileage at this point as my understanding is there.

AlexAlex
    Participant
    No badges. No points.

#54 some ribcage studies. I messed up the 4th rib placement on the pen pass on the second attempt. sadness.

AlexAlex
    Participant
    No badges. No points.

4th times the charm.

AlexAlex
    Participant
    No badges. No points.

still figuring out the back view

AlexAlex
    Participant
    No badges. No points.

quick attempt at 3/4 back view. gonna do some perspective stuff before bed. Ill do more ribcage and possibly pelvis practise again tomorrow.

Viewing 15 posts - 166 through 180 (of 284 total)

You must be logged in to use the forums. Sign Up for a free account or Sign In.