A tale of two hands -any feedback please

Discuss on Discord Register Free

home Forums Art & Artwork Open Critique A tale of two hands -any feedback please

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    srsanyal
    Participant
    No points.

Fig4Fig3Fig 2Fig1

Birgith ScheiBirgith Schei
    Participant
    No points.

Very goof

erikdenneserikdennes
    Participant
    No points.

These are nice!

Leo DiFraiaLeo DiFraia
    Participant
    No badges. No points.

The last one is my favorite because of the strong interesting line work particularly in the fingers closest to us.

You have the anatomy down quite nicely. Shading and mark-making are the elements you might work on. The mark-making is unnecessarily rough and the shading leaves the forms rather flat.

Shading on toned paper works best when you leave some space between the shadows (charcoal) and the highlights (white). By drawing the white charcoal across the whole plane, you flatten it completely.

When you were drawing, did you put the paper directly on your table or a drawing board? It’s a good idea to have a small stack of papers under the paper you’re working on. The extra padding allows the charcoal to contact more of the paper surface leading to smoother marks.

Finally, the shadow across the palm of the right hand is odd to say the least and I don’t know why all those lines are in the heel of the left hand. If you meant to show the palm bunching up some more subtle shading would have been appropriate rather than strong lines.

• This reply was modified 3 years, 4 months ago by Leo DiFraiaLeo DiFraia.
    srsanyal
    Participant
    No points.

Than you Leo ,for your constructive criticism, very helpful comments.
    Yes, i was not happy with my hatching and mark making, but don’t know specifically how to improve it.
    I will try the tips you suggested , also if you could have mentioned any specific book or course in NMA which specifically deals with this bit, anyway i would probably revisit Glenvilppu ‘s videos , although i find it challenging during my own work at times to distinguish between modelling tone hatches and the marks for shadow areas, he does create.

I looked back in to the reference photo and realised that the shadow across the palm of right hand is from the raised little finger and the oblique light source is from the left of the photograph, but yes it has been misplaced in my work and looks odd.

I have read your feed backs on other posts as well, and found those comments valuable.Much appreciated.

Merry christmas.

srsanyal
    Participant
    No points.

Thank you Birgith and Erikdennes for your kind comments.

Leo DiFraiaLeo DiFraia
    Participant
    No badges. No points.

Unfortunately, I haven’t watched many of the courses here yet so I couldn’t make a recommendation. This is a lecture I recorded of one of my life drawing classes. It demonstrates how to use toned paper with white conte crayon. I think it would be helpful for you in terms of thinking about how to approach these kinds drawings. I don’t leave hatch marks in this drawing, but you certainly could. Pay attention to the type of paper I use. That makes a world of difference in terms of mark-making.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jLPMgWOVTV4

srsanyal
    Participant
    No points.

Thank you so very much for sharing  the link,was helpful.

Happy New year.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

You must be logged in to use the forums. Sign Up for a free account or Sign In.