A Beginner’s Guide to Drawing | Lesson 5: Core Principles

Discuss on Discord Register Free

home Forums Courses & Lessons Discussion A Beginner’s Guide to Drawing | Lesson 5: Core Principles

Viewing 8 posts - 16 through 23 (of 23 total)
  • Author
    Daniel DaigleDaniel Daigle
    Keymaster
    No badges. No points.

Hi Haider, the matrix is the design pattern created from your tonal areas. Specifically how light shapes interact with dark shapes.  For example if you had two connected puzzle pieces, one white and one black, the shape of those solid tonal puzzle pieces would make up the matrix. The black puzzle piece could have a set of tonal values that fall into the dark tones category, and the white piece could have tones that fall into light tonal range as you develop the drawing.
    Or, if you wanted to group a row of trees into the same value, that shape and its border with the surrounding tonal areas (the sky and ground) would form the matrix. It is simply the shape of your tonal areas.

In short, he is asking you to design grouped patterns comprised of darks, mid-tones and lights

In the second chapter Bill explains this better than I do 🙂

https://www.nma.art/videolessons/color-theory-i-value-2/

• This reply was modified 3 years, 5 months ago by Daniel DaigleDaniel Daigle.
    TimTim
    Participant
    No badges. No points.

I am not at that ,bit yet but it looks like I might get confused !

Keymaster
    No badges. No points.

Hi Tim, please save the link for when you are ready to come back to it! It is a fairly straight forward concept though. He could have just said shadow midtone and light shapes, but once he builds on the concept, later on, its meaning become much more nuanced
    Good luck!

TimTim
    Participant
    No badges. No points.

Thanks so much Daniel very kind of you I find the teaching  excellent ,but some study in   “art” are like maths physics  a bit left side not my best side

Kind regards

Tim

Haidar
    Participant
    No points.

Hi Daniel

Thanks for the clarification. Is this chapter 2 you link to part of A Beginner’s Guide to Drawing? Sometimes I have difficulties navigating between lessons/chapters really 🙂

Keymaster
    No badges. No points.

Hi Haider, The link is to Bill Perkins Color Theory Course. I do not think this is part of the beginners series. When navigating I always right click and open in new tab so I don’t lose my place.
    I also recommend starting from https://www.nma.art/learn/ when trying to find a new course.
    You can navigate through the genres like Netflix either by rows or by buttons above the rows.
    Let me know if you have any other questions 🙂

Brandon WilsonBrandon Wilson
    Participant
    No badges. No points.

12.2 Gesture and rhythm 12.2 Gesture and Rythm

Delphine Lelorrain
    Participant
    No points.

I think local values are the  values of the color of the object without lights and shadows. for instance a black bottle will be darker than a yellow lemon.

Viewing 8 posts - 16 through 23 (of 23 total)

You must be logged in to use the forums. Sign Up for a free account or Sign In.