Vera’s 100 Day Challenge: Figure Drawing – Gesture and Structure

Discuss on Discord Register Free

home Forums Challenges & Activities 100 Day Art Challenge Vera’s 100 Day Challenge: Figure Drawing – Gesture and Structure

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 126 total)
  • Author
    Vera Coberley
    Participant
    No badges. No points.

Day 24 I’m trying to be more strategic about my daily exercises, but haven’t quite cracked it yet. Instead of setting myself time limits, I set 2 minute “check-ins”, to course correct my work before committing to a heavier line. But I’m still a bit too eager and confident to press on, and I don’t see the flaws until I’m done. Maybe I’ll try 1 minute increments tomorrow and possibly even step away from the drawing board

Vera Coberley
    Participant
    No badges. No points.

Day 25, 1/4 there. I find I enjoy the process better if I can go slowly, and if I have time to render the shadow shapes which reveal the bones and muscles I don’t all know yet. Proportions still seem off – I think I need to measure to guide my visual assessment

Vera Coberley
    Participant
    No badges. No points.

What if I reach day 100 without having improved in the least? Oh well, I shall live

Vera Coberley
    Participant
    No badges. No points.

Day 27 Drawing my own hand. Not the ideal setup, but it was fun.

Vera Coberley
    Participant
    No badges. No points.

Day 28 Live drawing today FELT good, although now that I look at my drawings, I don’t necessarily see much improvement. At any rate, I went more with the gesture flow today. It helps to draw women, who are less angular than men. Had this odd problem today where I started with big heads and then followed up with a smaller body, and I had to fix the head to keep it from looking too freakish

JayleneJaylene
    Participant
    No points.

I totally understand your frustration.  It always looks so easy when the instructor draws something.  You are on your way so don’t give up.  Keep making marks, there are no tricks.  Just keep looking and making marks and repeating the lessons.  You picked really good lessons to follow and you have good taste so keep at it.  🙂

Vera Coberley
    Participant
    No badges. No points.

Day 29 given that the head is so important, I wanted to dive a bit deeper into this area, and I popped over to the first lesson of Steve’s head drawing class. Took tons of notes and scribbled along. My “sailboat shape” mental model has become more refined. Let’s hope that that will help me

Vera Coberley
    Participant
    No badges. No points.

Worked on my master challenge today, the Gibson drawing. Made me think about the interplay between composition and gesture in multi-figure designs. Not going to count today’s work toward my 100 day challenge.

Vera Coberley
    Participant
    No badges. No points.

Day 30 Heads in different positions. I’ve got a hard time with symmetry and I really want to watch a lesson on drawing eyes now

Vera Coberley
    Participant
    No badges. No points.

Day 31 Still watching head lectures, but thought it best to return to full figure drawing for today

Vera Coberley
    Participant
    No badges. No points.

Day 33

Vera Coberley
    Participant
    No badges. No points.

Day 34. Watched some Vilppu lessons tonight. Tried not to get hung up in the 2D lines of the reference photo, but instead “feel the pose”

Vera Coberley
    Participant
    No badges. No points.

Day 35 Participated in the live drawing again. I enjoyed the longer timed poses.

Vera Coberley
    Participant
    No badges. No points.

Day 36

Vera Coberley
    Participant
    No badges. No points.

Day 37 Glenn Vilppu gesture draw along

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 126 total)

You must be logged in to use the forums. Sign Up for a free account or Sign In.