Sylvan

Discuss on Discord Register Free

home Forums Art & Artwork Open Critique Sylvan

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    RobinNoble
    Participant
    No badges. No points.

Josseline JeriaJosseline Jeria
    Participant
    No badges. No points.

Hi Robin

This is a beautiful painting. I love the serene atmosphere of the image. It’s lovely that you used a subtle complimentary colour scheme to have her skin tones and hair stand out more, but you made the background more neutral and less saturated which is great. I would you could push the depth of the background a bit more by making it even more neutral and less saturated. The lighting on the neck and chest read a bit lighter than what they should be, I think. I can see you defined her hair on her left side to push it back compared to her right, but maybe a bit more definition on her left side of her hair could be good, to make her overall hair read more consistently. And try to avoid using line to separate her upper eyelid from the rest of her eye socket. I struggle with this! but it does make the form read better.

Keep painting!

RobinNoble
    Participant
    No badges. No points.

I see what you mean, especially the eyelid.  This is my first stab at using a portrait photo reference and placing it in a landscape.  I see now that the light on her chest made sense in the photo but outdoors the light would be falling over the neck and chest not hitting it straight on.  Thanks so much!

Josseline JeriaJosseline Jeria
    Participant
    No badges. No points.

No worries! You’ve done an amazing job with it, especially given it was your first shot at it. Ah yes that makes sense why the lighting read a bit differently there. Thanks for sharing your work 🙂

Rachel Atkins
    Participant
    No badges. No points.

I really love your background and the way the colours work with your portrait.

RobinNoble
    Participant
    No badges. No points.

thanks Rachel, I have been limiting myself to three colors plus white lately.  It really improves my color harmony and forces me to stretch my mixing.

Caleb Jacobo
    Keymaster
    No badges. No points.

Hi @robinnoble, Steve Huston critiqued your work! Check it out: https://www.nma.art/forums/topic/steve-huston-critique-robinnoble/

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to use the forums. Sign Up for a free account or Sign In.