Still life – Vase and Grapes

Discuss on Discord Register Free

home Forums Art & Artwork Open Critique Still life – Vase and Grapes

Tagged: ,

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    Jo SheridanJo Sheridan
    Participant
    No points.

Hi there,

Still following along in Sheldon’s wake, and had a go at a still life – I was trying to follow his ideas about creating an area of focus in the grapes while pushing the vase into the background – I’m not sure I managed it really as I couldn’t resist keep going back in to work on the vase…  anyway, if there is anyone out there I should be interested in some feedback. Thanks Jo.Vase and Grapes

Carlos Perez
    Participant
    No badges. No points.

Hey Jo, I took that course with Sheldon too, he’s super funny

Yeah the idea of blending the vase and the BG work since they have the same value, maybe, if you want to blend them more you could eraser that shadow that separates BG and vase.

I would say you’re moving the viewer from the contrast of the top right of the vase through its corp ending at the grapes down left.  I’d say that if you want your focal area only at the grapes you could reduce the contrast of the top vase as well as intensifying the contrast at the grapes and augmenting the details or adding different shapes,  that would create contrast and interest in that specific area.

You can get deep information into the focal point in the composition course by  Bill perkin.  If you feel like.

Cheers , Carlos

Jo SheridanJo Sheridan
    Participant
    No points.

Hi Carlos,

Thanks for your thoughts – it feels like you and I have this whole forum to ourselves at the moment – as there is no-one else around – but all the same its good to hear from you…

I must add Bill Perkin to my ever-growing list of things I want to watch and work on- honestly when I started to get into this I had no idea how huge it was and just how much there was to learn – but I do find it constantly surprising and endlessly fascinating.

Thanks for helping me along the way. Jo.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to use the forums. Sign Up for a free account or Sign In.