Still Life-Irises

Discuss on Discord Register Free

home Forums Art & Artwork Open Critique Still Life-Irises

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    Jonathon Potter
    Participant
    No badges. No points.

Hello all, me again

Much like my previous post, the still life with lemons (which I have yet to adjust),

I spent an hour or two working on a short alla prima, almost vaguely impressionist, study of a vase of irises (based on one of the images in the still life reference collections in the NMA photo library)

I do not know if I need to do too much more to this aside from clean up with one more layer of background white paint, however any critiques are most appreciated (if there are any)

Thank you and have a good day!

Chris_LegaspiChris_Legaspi
    Participant
    No badges. No points.

Hi Johnathan. I really like the graphic look of it. I would like to see you push it further by making the mass of white really flat, even so it feels even more graphic. Might be worth a shot. Or if you keep this textured white mass, I like to see a little ledge, or a surface so it feels like its a triangle shaped window in a white wall. Hope that helps.

Jonathon Potter
    Participant
    No badges. No points.

Thank you Chris,

When you say mass of white, do you mean the larger reflection, reflections in general, or the negative space surrounding the triangle?

Chris_LegaspiChris_Legaspi
    Participant
    No badges. No points.

All the white space around the around the object. White negative space

Jonathon Potter
    Participant
    No badges. No points.

Fantastic, I thought that might be it – I shall do that and see what happens, shall post the result. Thank you Chris

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to use the forums. Sign Up for a free account or Sign In.