Shannon’s 100 Day Art Challenge : Expression & Emotion study in graphite

Discuss on Discord Register Free

home Forums Challenges & Activities 100 Day Art Challenge Shannon’s 100 Day Art Challenge : Expression & Emotion study in graphite

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 17 total)
  • Author
    Shannon
    Participant
    No badges. No points.

I have been drawing with graphite for about ten years now. I have noticed my progress but I feel like I could do more if I challenge myself.

Shannon
    Participant
    No badges. No points.

This is the first day (yesterday) of my challenge. I’m not really happy with it but it’s a start 💁🏻‍♀️

Christopher
    Participant
    No badges. No points.

Hi Shannon,

Your experience in graphite is definitely noticable if it’s about your values and overall rendering. So I would say just keep working on your structure + proportions to balance it out and your work should improve drastically 👍👋

Shannon
    Participant
    No badges. No points.

Thank you Christopher! I definitely need help with my values, I always seem to draw things way too dark. I’m going to look some activities to improve those things. I really appreciate your feedback…
    Would you be able to answer a question? Is there a way to edit the original post? I accidently hit submit before I detailed the reason I’m taking this challenge.

Christopher
    Participant
    No badges. No points.

Even if it might be overall to dark, in my opinion if we talk about graphite most people got problems getting dark values. That’s why I said your values are good. Maybe you crossed the line but from that point it’s basically just a back and forth until you found a decent middle ground.

I think starting to group your values based on their local values could help. Bill Perkins has some great lessons about major and minor keys which is a value system.

To your other question: I’m not 100% sure but since I noticed the same issue I think it’s time bound so that after a specific time frame you can’t edit your posts. Maybe an admin could help if it’s really important to you.

But while speaking about posting issues also be careful if you want to post multiple images in one post. The spam filter likes to get crazy and eat your post’s. So if you did more than one thing you want to share in a day either split them into multiple post’s or use a collage app to merge your pictures into one.

Just a little hint since many people starting here (me included) had this issue and needed to figure it out for themselves.

Sorry that I couldn’t really answer your question 😅👋

• This reply was modified 3 years, 9 months ago by Christopher.
    Shannon
    Participant
    No badges. No points.

Ohh I see what you mean…Well then, thank you! And thank you very much for the information and reference, I will look into the Bill Perkins lessons.

Thanks for trying to answer, anyway!  And for the tip, I will keep an eye on that 😀

iamjakerooiamjakeroo
    Participant
    No badges. No points.

that’s a very good start, Shannon

and I especially like how you did the hair

Shannon
    Participant
    No badges. No points.

Day 2

I wasn’t trying to draw her exactly, I just need a facial expression.

I had a lot of trouble trying to draw the lips properly, I’m not sure why 🙈
    I would love any tips/suggestions for drawing from observation 🙏🏻🙏🏻

Shannon
    Participant
    No badges. No points.

Day 3

I have such trouble with facial perspective, I’d appreciate any tips on that.

I realized that there is a better way to do this. I’ve been focusing on one drawing when I should be working on a page of sketches. I feel like this would help me practice even more.

Shannon
    Participant
    No badges. No points.

Day 4

I was supposed to start doing simpler sketches but for some reason, this character came out. I’m a writer as well, so there will probably be a story attached to whoever this is.

I feel like I expressed big emotion with little facial movement, which is kind of cool

I don’t know why these keep posting sideways but it’s really annoying!

• This reply was modified 3 years, 9 months ago by Shannon.
    • This reply was modified 3 years, 9 months ago by Shannon.
    Shannon
    Participant
    No badges. No points.

Day 5

The formatting issues are a huge problem and it is frustrating how no one seems to be responding to requests for help.

• This reply was modified 3 years, 8 months ago by Shannon.
    • This reply was modified 3 years, 8 months ago by Shannon.
    Shannon
    Participant
    No badges. No points.

Day 6

Annoying how some photos post sideways, for no apparent reason.

I’ve been practicing the Andrew Loomis method, which has been helping a lot.

Shannon
    Participant
    No badges. No points.

Day 7

I’m finding it a bit difficult to express more than a subtle show of emotion…

Shannon
    Participant
    No badges. No points.

Day 8

I’m not sure what I was going for here but I’m going back to simple sketches after this one.
    I really would appreciate some tips/advice on drawing emotion and expression….

Shannon
    Participant
    No badges. No points.

Day 5

I haven’t been online that much in the last couple of days, but I did continue the challenge.
    I hit a wall of frustration. I’m so bad with perspective and I have no clue how to improve.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 17 total)

You must be logged in to use the forums. Sign Up for a free account or Sign In.