Self Portrait in Burnt Sienna

Discuss on Discord Register Free

home Forums Challenges & Activities Self-Portrait Avatar Self Portrait in Burnt Sienna

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    JessicaJessica
    Participant
    No points.

Jessica Self-Portrait

Eek!!  This was a very difficult and humbling experience.  They say that you are your greatest critic, and I think that comparing your facial structure to “textbook” proportions can be very difficult.  In past attempts at a self-potrait, I tended to accentuate the parts of my face that I’m the most insecure with which always made them worse. LOL.  I tried very hard to take a construction approach this time and not look at the subject as me, but as just another woman.  I think I came pretty close to my likeness, and I will definitely be attempting another self-portrait as I progress in studies.

Ricardo BúzioRicardo Búzio
    Participant
    No badges. No points.

That’s a lovely drawing Jessica. I know what you mean by being your own subject matter. It can be daunting and even make us feel vulnerable.

JessicaJessica
    Participant
    No points.

Thank you very much Ricardo.  Yes very vulnerable.  LOL  But I think if you can learn to draw yourself honestly without prejudice you could probably draw anyone.

JanJan
    Participant
    No badges. No points.

I agree that this is a beautiful drawing. I definitely understand your sentiments that a self-portrait is very difficult and extremely humbling. I thought of a quote by the artist Kathe Kollwitz: “Don’t hide yourself – be the person you are, and find your essence.” I think you did just that!

JessicaJessica
    Participant
    No points.

Thank you Jan! This quote is perfect! A motto I’ve been trying to follow: “Be fearlessly Authentic”

Chris_LegaspiChris_Legaspi
    Participant
    No badges. No points.

Hi Jessica. Really nice portrait. I like your color choice too. Burnt Sienna is one of my favorites and it adds warmth to the portrait. To me the gaze is really well done. Has a lot of depth. Look forward your next portrait

JessicaJessica
    Participant
    No points.

Wow! Thank you @Chris_Legaspi ! I really appreciate your feedback.  Many say that I’m known for my smile so this particular pose was a challenge to try to capture me in a more serious and thoughtful way. Very encouraged by the comments! Thank you again!

I love working in Burnt Sienna and Sanguine. Many of the drawings created by the Masters are in some form of a warm brown/red color so it’s a a kind of tribute to them.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to use the forums. Sign Up for a free account or Sign In.