Seeking new perspectives

Discuss on Discord Register Free

home Forums Art Discussion Inspiration and Motivation Seeking new perspectives

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author
    Darryl
    Participant
    No badges. No points.

Hello. Long time artist lifetime student here. This is the first time I’ve posted here despite having attended for several months now and admittedly I’m not sure if this is the place to do so, but here goes.

To try and make a long story short mine plays out I’m sure like many of yours has in that I’ve been drawing the majority of my life. Big fish in a small pond sort of thing at first. Natural propensity as a youth which I coasted on until about freshman year of highschool wherein my formal education began. Time passed, college for graphic design in 2004, big fish in a small pond becomes average fish in pond full of many talented people. As it stood graphic design was not for me and the technical side of things though necessary quickly burned me out.

Fast forward through the years an attempt at art has been made here and there although certainly lacking in consistency. After much soul searching in recent years I’ve decided that art, more specifically drawing is my calling in life and I’d love to make an honest go of it. Here lies my problem which I’m sure many of you can relate to.

The desire is ever present. The motivation, however, not so much. That is to say as a youth there was a passion there fueled entirely by imagination. Over the years, though, that almost aleatoric drive has been quashed by the technical side of things. I can’t seem to remove myself somewhat from the hyper analytical side of things and simply enjoy it again which I think is critical.

I’ve had many instructors tell me of course that neither motivation or inspiration just happens and career wise to wait for either is a proverbial death sentence. I’ve also been told to just draw even if and when I don’t think I can. Either way time waits for no man as they say. While I’m not in a race it certainly doesnt help to simply spin my wheels per se.

Ultimately what I’m getting at is the drive and passion and interest is still there, I’m just lacking the fervor, anticipation, and structured habits to an extent to make things happen as it where.

Thoughts/opinions? Any insight is much appreciated.

Natalie MontelongoNatalie Montelongo
    Keymaster
    Administrator Badge
    No points.

Hello, Darryl.

Thank you for your post.

Many artists struggle in the areas you mentioned in your post, however, NMA is here to help.

I strongly recommend joining our Coaching Program: https://www.nma.art/coaching/

The Coaching Program can provide structure and accountability, which may inspire motivation and inspiration.

I also recommend checking out our Discord channel: https://discord.com/invite/uutg3sG?utm_source=New+Masters+Academy+Updates&utm_campaign=38abde7f4a-EMAIL_CAMPAIGN_2020_08_31_05_14_COPY_01&utm_medium=email&utm_term=0_c7c9eb6997-38abde7f4a-94241369&mc_cid=38abde7f4a&mc_eid=71b7565a2f

Many NMA students are active on the Discord, and chatting with them can also help boost some inspiration.

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

You must be logged in to use the forums. Sign Up for a free account or Sign In.