Sculpting a Female Portrait in Clay | Part 5

Discuss on Discord Register Free

home Forums Courses & Lessons Discussion Sculpting a Female Portrait in Clay | Part 5

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    New Masters AcademyNew Masters Academy
    Keymaster
    No badges. No points.

World-renowned sculptor Johanna Schwaiger joins New Masters Academy, bringing with her over 20 years experience of teaching and producing figurative and portrait sculpture. In her first series, she demonstrates her method of sculpting a female portrait from a live model. You’ll learn important methods and procedures using various sculpting materials and tools, key landmarks of the skull, and basic clay application. As she approaches a finish in Part 5, Johanna addresses the distance between her sculpture’s eyes, completes the lips, nostrils, and eyebrows. She introduces some finishing techniques in order to make the sculpture less sickly and more lifelike.

Materials

• Water-Based Clay
    • 2″ x 2″ Plank
    • 3/4″ Thick Plywood or Melamine Square
    • Screws
    • Small Wood Modeling Tools
    • Tiranti Modeling Tools (B Series)
    • Caliper
    • Wire Clay Cutting Tool
    Betty Ng
    Participant
    No badges. No points.

Can the sculpture be fired in a kiln?  If yes, how do you remove the sculpture from the armature stand?  Many thanks, Betty

Daniel DaigleDaniel Daigle
    Keymaster
    No badges. No points.

Hi Betty, I’m no expert here, but I believe the preferred method would be to mold and cast. I’ve hear Johanna talk about making bronze casts on several occasions. Because the clay is not hollowed out, you risk the chance of it exploding in the kiln. Maybe you could set it at low heat for a long time…. but I really don’t know.
    But we will have Judy Fox some time in the future, show how to sculpt a bust that can be fired in kiln. one technique would be to dig the armature out, the other is to build the sculpture like a pinch pot.

I hope this helps

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to use the forums. Sign Up for a free account or Sign In.