Russian Drawing Course Part 12 – Portrait Assignment

Discuss on Discord Register Free

home Forums Art & Artwork Open Critique Russian Drawing Course Part 12 – Portrait Assignment

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    HonestkaHonestka
    Participant
    No points.

Hi everyone,

My name is “Honestka.” This is my first post here at NMA. I’m flinging my completed Russian Drawing Course Part 12 assignment out into the realm of the Internets for any feedback. I chose a difference reference picture than the image from the model, Mark, that Iliya was working on because I wanted to try to force myself to apply what I’m learning in a visually different situation rather than try to curve my progress based on how much my outcome resembled Iliya’s own drawing of Mark in that exact pose. I’m not completely pleased with the outcome–I never am–but at least it’s over now, hahaha.  Really enjoying the course though. It’s my first year with NMA and I’ve never had any formal art training or classes so go easy on me!! Critiques welcome.

• This topic was modified 4 years, 4 months ago by HonestkaHonestka.
    Keejun WildKeejun Wild
    Participant
    No badges. No points.

Wow, that looks really excellent. So good. If I had to find something that I would change that I feel may enrich the drawing, I would possibly heighten the contrast in value. For example the pit of the ears could be darkened, all the darkest points and lightest points could be pushed. It would have to be done well and in balance. Just something to play around with to see if it would help the image be more striking to you. And again, your drawing is so well done. I hope to see more of your work. Thank you for sharing.

Joshua JacoboJoshua Jacobo
    Keymaster
    No badges. No points.

REALLY nice work! Work on getting the shadow and light sides of the forms to group more clearly. Watch the spacing of the eyes. Remember there is one eye spacing roughly between each eye so measure it off like you were drawing something architectural to help you see where those eyes should lie.

liannemooreliannemoore
    Participant
    No badges. No points.

That’s such an interesting and challenging angle to draw! Some of the proportions of the nose and eyes look a bit off but nothing major. Would love to see it again when you have tweaked it or if you draw another!

HonestkaHonestka
    Participant
    No points.

Great feedback; thank you so much everyone! I don’t think I can push the darks any darker, but like Mr. Jacobo says, if I have clearer groupings between my shadows and and lights that might help that illusion as well (definitely violated the “darkest halftone needs to be lighter than your lightest shadow rule lol, probably partially because the reference picture may have had similar ambiguity that I could have simplified). Really appreciate the input everyone, thanks!

arieldavila
    Participant
    No badges. No points.

I agree this is a really difficult angle to draw, but  you did a remarkable job!

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to use the forums. Sign Up for a free account or Sign In.