Russian academic drawing

Discuss on Discord Register Free

home Forums Art & Artwork Open Critique Russian academic drawing

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 66 total)
  • Author
    Beth BarnardBeth Barnard
    Participant
    No badges. No points.

Hi, Elizabeth,

I can only imagine the time and energy that you’ve put into your drawings! Your detail is jaw dropping! I don’t know how long you’ve been drawing, but if this is what you can do at this point in your artistic development, you’re going to produce some really amazing work! Because I only have a general level of anatomy and beginning level of seeing and understanding light and shadow, all that I can say is that I hope that you keep posting your work. I’ll be on the lookout for it, because it is inspiring and gives those of us who are beginners, a level at which to aspire. I’m glad that Iliya has been able to give you more specific feedback at a level that your work deserves.

Best,

Beth

elizabeth hone
    Participant
    No badges. No points.

Thanks Beth. I find it a struggle but very rewarding. I’m unable to work at the moment as we are in lockdown due to COVID so have lots of time available which is lovely in some ways. I’m a myotherapist so very familiar with the anatomy.  Thanks for your encouragement.I’ll checkout your work.

elizabeth hone
    Participant
    No badges. No points.

First run through arms

Joshua JacoboJoshua Jacobo
    Keymaster
    No badges. No points.

Awesome anatomical studies. My advice would be to think about gesture more as you study the bones and muscles. Think about the fleshed arm and try to tune into the flow and connections. That’s what you want in your final artwork so it’s good to look for that even while studying anatomy. Look at how Rubens did his anatomy studies. They weren’t very accurate but he got a lot of form and flow out of them.

elizabeth hone
    Participant
    No badges. No points.

thanks Joshua

robert dixon
    Participant
    No points.

wow… in depth! Just thought i’d have a look at what you are up to… I’m planning on doing a 100 day art challenge, it was going to be 100 figures, but I draw figures every day any way… so where is the challenge? Guess it will have to be anatomy now. Side tracked.

The shoulders are certainly very complex. Wondered what gem of wisdom one could offer… then I saw your revisiting comment regarding the drawing of the back and shoulders. May I suggest doing a draw through with Glen Vilpuu where he draws the male back.

https://www.nma.art/videolessons/drawing-the-male-back-in-sanguine/?course=114921

It is one of the lessons where he talks about muscle structure and connectivity… the drawing is from a very similar angle.

https://s3.amazonaws.com/uploads.nma.art/uploads/2013/04/GV_male_back_featured.jpg

Nice work.

Bob

elizabeth hone
    Participant
    No badges. No points.

elizabeth hone
    Participant
    No badges. No points.

elizabeth hone
    Participant
    No badges. No points.

Up to short poses in the RAD course. Very unfamiliar approach, as Ilya says. Feels very loose and uncontrolled.

elizabeth hone
    Participant
    No badges. No points.

And second attempt at arms

robert dixon
    Participant
    No points.

Hi,

Thank you for the comments about my figure drawing. There are so many aspects to it such can become overwhelming, so nice to be given structure by these very organised lessons. I did post a comment here previously which seems to have disappeared into the ether.

It was regarding your drawing of the male back and your comment about revisiting the drawing. The drawing looks to be like a very similar pose to one in Glenn Vilppu’s gesture course, lesson number twelve where he draws the male back in sanguine. I thought this might help as in this lesson he talks about the anatomy of the back and connectivity. The link is below.

https://www.nma.art/videolessons/drawing-the-male-back-in-sanguine/?course=114921

Regards, Bob

elizabeth hone
    Participant
    No badges. No points.

Thanks bob. That’s great

elizabeth hone
    Participant
    No badges. No points.

Short poses assignment

elizabeth hone
    Participant
    No badges. No points.

elizabeth hone
    Participant
    No badges. No points.

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 66 total)

You must be logged in to use the forums. Sign Up for a free account or Sign In.