Raven’s 100 Day Foundations Challenge

Discuss on Discord Register Free

home Forums Challenges & Activities 100 Day Art Challenge Raven’s 100 Day Foundations Challenge

Viewing 15 posts - 76 through 90 (of 174 total)
  • Author
    Raven KushnerRaven Kushner
    Participant
    No badges. No points.

Day 53

Ilya joked, during the class session I watched, that he should start a school that only studied cloth. He believes that by studying cloth, you can learn all the principles of drawing. That may be true. But I think cloth could also be responsible for landing me in a mental facility one day.

Today I worked on the half lock, which actually has two parts. My plan was to finish both parts today, but the joke was on me – not possible. So, part two of the half-lock tomorrow!

half lock

Participant
    No badges. No points.

Day 54

Today I listened to Steve’s Constructive Figure Drawing class. Today’s session was a timed session for hands. Yikes. First of all, I’ve never studied hands before by themselves, and certainly never timed. The one and 2 minute sessions were mostly comedy, but, by 5 minutes, I was at least able to get something recognizable on the page. The second drawing is the lay-in for part two of the half-lock in the Russian Drawing Course.

My goal is to add a second drawing session after work. I am a woman obsessed.

hands

half lock

Participant
    No badges. No points.

Day 55

I’m feeling really grateful for the time I’ve carved out of every morning for my art. But I also feel the pain of having to drop it in order to do something tedious for most of the day. But, last night, I was able to carve out a little more time after work. It felt great to begin and end my day with something I love.

In today’s lesson, Steven finished up the hands section. And I continued my ongoing attempt to finish up the Russian Academic course’s drapery section. I also need to work on my self portrait. I’m bribing myself with a special holiday Starbucks drink if I finish the self portrait in time to enter it into this month’s contest!

hands

half lock

Marcolino EstuardoMarcolino Estuardo
    Participant
    No badges. No points.

Hi Raven. Good job on those hands. You have a good sense of form going in the top middle/right and bottom ones. I actually  like the bottom one!

For the top-left, try avoiding interior detail (wrinkles). Really look past that and get a sense of the proper shape of the hands.

Participant
    No badges. No points.

Day 56

Cloth, cloth, cloth. I’ve finished the half lock, now it’s on to the zig zag! I’ve decided to do them on the same paper, like I did with the half-lock assignment, but, this time, I even started them at the same time. At the same time, I’m going to have to devote the entire weekend to the self-portrait if I’m to have even a prayer of turning it on time.

Being busy at work is stressful. Being busy at art is fun! 🙂

half lock

zig zag

Participant
    No badges. No points.

Day 57

Today I continued with Steve’s Constructive Figure Drawing class. Then, I split my time between my Russian Drawing class assignment (the zig-zag lock) and the ongoing self-portrait project. The day flew by, of course, but I’m happy with the progress I made on each. I listened to Grant Cardone’s audio book 10X while I was painting, which was also cool.

zig zag lock

self portrait

Participant
    No badges. No points.

Day 58

Today I finished my self-portrait and the zig-zag cloth. Sometimes finishing is just a matter of being tired of looking at the particular piece. I mourn the end of a lovely weekend of art and gird my loins for the week ahead.

zig zag

self portrait

Participant
    No badges. No points.

Day 59

Today was devoted to class (Glenn’s Dynamic Gesture Drawing) and to the spiral fold.

spiral fold

Participant
    No badges. No points.

Day 60

I’ve been giving more thought to what I’m going to do after the 100 days, and to my approach to my art career in general. I re-started my blog, for one thing (RavensFineArt.wordpress.com) and I’ve definitely raised my level of thinking. The details are still being formulated…

Today I finished the spiral fold. Now, it’s on to the inert cloth and then – finally – the final project for cloth!

spiral fold

TimTim
    Participant
    No badges. No points.

Lovely  drawing Raven great tonal values and Crest lights

Tim

Participant
    No badges. No points.

Tim: Thank you! 🙂

Participant
    No badges. No points.

Day 61

This is the last of the individual cloth assignments in the Russian class. All that’s left are the video lessons on the final project, and then the final cloth project. After that, it’s on to anatomy! Woo hoo!

I’ve never been so grateful to be living like a monk (monkette?). I can devote all my non-working time to this lovely stuff. The photo below is “inert cloth”

inert

Participant
    No badges. No points.

Day 62

I had a fun day today playing with new materials. I did a gesture drawing using water soluble pencil and a little landscape using water soluble pencil, colored charcoal, and chalk pastel. I don’t think anything could replace paint in my heart, but it’s a lot of fun to try new things!

gesture

landscape

Participant
    No badges. No points.

Day 63

Today I just focused on sketching. I experimented with toned paper, which I’ve never used before. The only issue is that the toned paper I bought is quite small, but I like the results that are possible.

gesture

gesture 2

gesture 3

Participant
    No badges. No points.

Day 64

Today I was able to focus on the Russian class again. This drawing took much longer than I thought it would. My goal is to continue to focus on that class for the rest of the 100 days. The only exceptions will be when where I am in the lessons overtakes where I am on the assignments. That’s when I tend to watch other classes until I catch up.

cloth lady

Viewing 15 posts - 76 through 90 (of 174 total)

You must be logged in to use the forums. Sign Up for a free account or Sign In.