Paul’s 100 Day Challenge; Sketchbook

Discuss on Discord Register Free

home Forums Challenges & Activities 100 Day Art Challenge Paul’s 100 Day Challenge; Sketchbook

Viewing 15 posts - 271 through 285 (of 348 total)
  • Author
    PaulDidier
    Participant
    No points.

Okay, that went.

Here’s step three. Some errors becoming annoying. I’ll try to fix those and keep going.

Joshua JacoboJoshua Jacobo
    Keymaster
    No badges. No points.

Great perspective studies. When doing more complex perspective drawings it can help to keep your pencil tip sharper.

PaulDidier
    Participant
    No points.

Hi Joshua,

Thanks for the comment. You’re right about the pencil. I’d intended to just lightly suggest the lines in pencil and then go to a ball point pen, but I’m rusty with my perspective.

Also, sorry about posting so sparsely. Not been feeling well due to back and other issues, (not Covid thankfully). I’m going in Monday for some minor, (hopefully), surgery and if things go well I hope to be feeling better and will get back onto the Challenge. It’s been so frustrating feeling this out of it the last 3 weeks or so. I really can’t wait to get into this again with more energy and less pain. Thanks again for the encouragement and helpful comments.

PaulDidier
    Participant
    No points.

Here’s Day 69.

PaulDidier
    Participant
    No points.

Here’s Day 70. Quick gouache study from a sunrise I took a picture of on my iPhone one morning recently.

Iliya MirochnikIliya Mirochnik
    Participant
    Instructor Badge
    No points.

Hi Paul,

I like this little landscape sketch. I made a draw-over with a couple of things that I thought would add more atmosphere and variation.

Best,

Iliya

PaulDidier
    Participant
    No points.

Thanks Iliya. Really helpful comments. All of them are good. I especially like the ones about more interesting cloud formations and some blue in the road. One of my worst habits is, when I have a reference image I really like, (such as this picture), I will stick to it rather than change it and experiment with it in my rendering. In this case, since I took it while driving, my headlights were giving a warm light on the road. If, as you suggested, I’d ignored that and brought the blue from the sky into the road it would have been much better.

Silly not to do more of that, especially in relatively quick studies. Thanks again for taking the time to point out improvements I could make!

PaulDidier
    Participant
    No points.

Day 71. Tried graphite for a change.

Joshua JacoboJoshua Jacobo
    Keymaster
    No badges. No points.

You’re improving like crazy. On the last drawing, it’s quite lovely but there’s too much of a disconnect between the outer contour and the modeling of the form on the interior. Try to find opportunities to connect and relate those for a more convincing illusion.

PaulDidier
    Participant
    No points.

Thanks Joshua. By disconnect do you mean that the modeling is done in small lines or hatches and the outer contour is a thicker, more solid line?

PaulDidier
    Participant
    No points.

Here’s day 72. A very quick gouache study. Want to take it further. Just ran out of gas tonight.

PaulDidier
    Participant
    No points.

Here’s Day 73.

PaulDidier
    Participant
    No points.

Here’s Day 74. Tried to loosen up a bit by doing a quick gouache study of part of a watercolor painting. Also worked a bit more on my gouache study from day 72.

PaulDidier
    Participant
    No points.

Here’s Day 75. Pen and ink and wash, with a little Charcoal and gouache for highlights.

• This reply was modified 3 years, 8 months ago by PaulDidier.
    • This reply was modified 3 years, 8 months ago by PaulDidier.
    PaulDidier
    Participant
    No points.

So, finally got long-delayed shoulder surgery today on my right shoulder. Will be out of it for a couple of days but doc thinks I can draw, (with caution), by Monday. If not it’s left-handed time.

Viewing 15 posts - 271 through 285 (of 348 total)

You must be logged in to use the forums. Sign Up for a free account or Sign In.