Nude figure on toned paper with charcoal and chalk

Discuss on Discord Register Free

home Forums Art & Artwork Open Critique Nude figure on toned paper with charcoal and chalk

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    Timo KäharaTimo Kähara
    Participant
    No points.

Reference photo is from NMA collection, model  is Carlotta. I added those rays of light to make the composition more interesting. Size of the drawing is 47,5×47,5 cm (that should be 18+ inches). I add a progress photo aswell.

More of my drawings and paintings can be seen on my Instagram account -> https://www.instagram.com/timokaharaart/

Cheers!

Timo

anita luse
    Participant
    No badges. No points.

So beautiful!

Timo KäharaTimo Kähara
    Participant
    No points.

Thank You, Anita!

Anime_Artist
    Participant
    No badges. No points.

Amazing! The details of the hair and shadow near the knee particularly stand out to me.  Is there any particular course or instructor on NMA you would recommend for figure drawing?

Timo KäharaTimo Kähara
    Participant
    No points.

Thanks, Anime_Artist!
    Sorry about the lazy reply. There are many good courses about figure drawing. My favourite NMA course about figure drawing is Constructive Figure Drawing with Steve Huston. It’s thorough and understandable.

LEWIS MACKENZIELEWIS MACKENZIE
    Participant
    No badges. No points.

Nice job Timo. I like the gesture and sense of solidity in the form. The “spotlight” hatching is an interesting graphic device, too.

I feel you may have overstated the lighter values in the face. I can’t see your reference, but it looks to me as though most, if not all of the face should be in shadow, but some of the lighter values there look like they are bare paper, which is a value that appears in the lights. For an object of a given local colour, all of the shadow values should always be darker than all of the values in the lights. The reflected lights around the mouth and chin in particular look too bright to me, and it gives the impression that the jaw is slightly twisted towards the viewer.

Timo KäharaTimo Kähara
    Participant
    No points.

Thanks for the comments, Lewis!
    I post the reference photo that I used. As you can see the face is not completely in shadow. Her cheekbone slightly catches direct light. Jaw and chin catch some reflected light. It’s true that on my drawing the jaw and chin are too light compared to the reference. Well, that was my interpretation of that model on that moment. That was the level of my skills on that moment. I think I have learned my lessons there. I believe that at one moment artist must let go of his/her artwork and move on. Otherwise there’s a chance that you overwork your artwork and f*** it up. One must accept that it’s the level of your skills at the moment, learn your lessons and move on.

Cheers!

Carlos Perez
    Participant
    No badges. No points.

Hey Timo ,  in terms of rendering it looks great however you need to Design more, I’ll encourage you to take Bill Perkin’s fabulous boot camp on composition where he explains how to utilize visual literacy, matrix, and more.

Fahrizal Siswanto
    Participant
    No badges. No points.

high skill

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

You must be logged in to use the forums. Sign Up for a free account or Sign In.