Nathan's Sketchbook

Discuss on Discord Register Free

home Forums Art & Artwork Sketchbooks Nathan's Sketchbook

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 21 total)
  • Author
    NathanNathan
    Participant
    No badges. No points.

Hey all,

The names Nathan. You can find my full intro here

Excited to jump into this. I can’t promise regular updates, but I will do my best.

For my first set of drawings, I’ve gone all the way back to the basics with the beginners series. Here are my sketches from watching tutorials last night. These are sketches to capture the basic form, and playing with light.

Apologies for the quality of images. Any tips to taking photos of the sketchbook are welcome 🙂

RobertSeal-Coon
    Participant
    No badges. No points.

Hey man,

Good start.  Not sure if the perspective is from the photo of the page, but the mugs from the side view look a little twisted.  One of the things that I find helpful is to think in terms of what part is parallel with what.  For example, even though they are round, if you imagine a line between the outer edges of the opening at the top and the outer edges of the base, then they should be parallel.  It’s always amazing how much a slight difference can make things look a bit off.

Hope you don’t mind the critique, I find them helpful.

Keep posting!

NathanNathan
    Participant
    No badges. No points.

Hi Robert,

Thanks for the feedback! I don’t mind the critique.

I went back and checked my drawing, the ‘warping’ of the cup is definitely a result of the photo. I went and checked it and it looked fine. But I’ll definitely take on your feedback for next time (as well as improve my photo taking skills haha).

I’m long overdue to post some stuff up. I’ll do that tonight.

Cheers

NathanNathan
    Participant
    No badges. No points.

Ok, latest work over the last couple of weeks. I’ve been slowly working through the beginners course. I’m loving it.

The skull is still a work in progress. There are some things I want to tidy up and also go into more detail with. Loving the process 😀

RobertSeal-Coon
    Participant
    No badges. No points.

Hi Nathan,

Really like the shadows in the latest especially in the skull and in the paint tube on its side.  The core shadows look perfect to me.  How long does it take you to do something like the skull drawing?

NathanNathan
    Participant
    No badges. No points.

Thanks Robert,

The skull drawing as you see it above, took me about an hour. That not including the thumbnail sketches beforehand (add another 20 minutes). I ended up spending another hour later redoing some bits and refining others.

NathanNathan
    Participant
    No badges. No points.

3 images from the Lay-In Exercises from chapter 7 of the beginners’ course. I did some others, but they were rushed and I wasn’t happy with them. These are the top 3.

This week I’ll be doing the full rendering. I’m excited and intimated. But you got to be in it to win it.

loscapim
    Participant
    No badges. No points.

Nice Nathan! I’m also going though the beginners path. Is great.  I just started the series of your last post. Keep it up! 🙂

NathanNathan
    Participant
    No badges. No points.

Finally done. I’m really happy with this. I learned a lot. I’m looking forward to landscapes

alec.justice00
    Participant
    No badges. No points.

Wow, these look great! Love the plate studies, how long did the full render take?

NathanNathan
    Participant
    No badges. No points.

Thanks, Alec,

I’m not sure how long exactly the full render took. It took me a week to do, stealing 20 – 40 minutes sessions when I could. (It was a busy week for me last week). If I added up the time spent, I would say it took me about 3 hours or so.

NathanNathan
    Participant
    No badges. No points.

Been having some fun making my way through Beginning Head Drawing with Steve Huston. Learning heaps. Here are my sketches so far.

^^^ For some reason I added an extra plane below the eyes. haha oops.

Trying to visualize the placement of the eyeball.

RobertSeal-Coon
    Participant
    No badges. No points.

Haha – I have a sketchbook full of drawings that look exactly the same as that from when I did the beginning head drawing course.  I thought for a second you’d got hold of it!  Love the rendering exercise above too.

NathanNathan
    Participant
    No badges. No points.

Here some practices of noses. Also did some ears but I didn’t get to take photos.

However, I’m really happy with how this is progressing. I decided to use everything I learnt and start a full rendering. Here is where I’m at:

I’ve still got a bit to go. This dude is a lot more wrinkled and has some tufts of hair, however, I wasn’t confident enough.

I’m currently going through the hair and aging tutorials in the more advanced classes. I’ll be finishing it this weekend. I’m really happy with how its progressing. It’s definitely one of the best renders I’ve done 😀 😀

NathanNathan
    Participant
    No badges. No points.

Boom! Final finished. Really happy with this 🙂

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 21 total)

You must be logged in to use the forums. Sign Up for a free account or Sign In.