Myriam’s 100 Days; portrait, heads

Discuss on Discord Register Free

home Forums Challenges & Activities 100 Day Art Challenge Myriam’s 100 Days; portrait, heads

Viewing 15 posts - 121 through 135 (of 188 total)
  • Author
    MyriamMyriam
    Participant
    No badges. No points.

A bit more finished. Virginia Woolf.

Artemisia
    Participant
    No badges. No points.

Looks beautiful! I love the depth in the eyes.

MyriamMyriam
    Participant
    No badges. No points.

Thank you, Artemisia! 🙂

MyriamMyriam
    Participant
    No badges. No points.

Thank you, erikdennes! 🙂🙏🏼

MyriamMyriam
    Participant
    No badges. No points.

Graphite.

MyriamMyriam
    Participant
    No badges. No points.

Quick sketch of Françoise Sagan.

Joshua JacoboJoshua Jacobo
    Keymaster
    No badges. No points.

Great work here! Watch out for patchy tones. That’s when a dark sort of floats on the form and makes it look dirty or pitted rather than reading as modeling. One thing you can do to avoid this group is group our shadows more clearly. Try to find ways to connect your halftones to the core shadow and shadow side (“hanging them off of your core”).

MyriamMyriam
    Participant
    No badges. No points.

Hi, @Joshua Jacobo.
    Yes, you’re right. It looks messy. I am sending it again just a little bit better than before.

#70 bis

MyriamMyriam
    Participant
    No badges. No points.

I’ve copied a drawing by Eliza Ivanova. I absolutely love her work and she just uses (most of the time) a mechanical pencil and a blending stump.
    For this drawing, I used color pencils.
    Her original drawing, of course, is a million times better than this.

MyriamMyriam
    Participant
    No badges. No points.

This is from a video I was watching about the artist Wayne Thiebaud. Quick  drawing again, I am sorry. The paper is see-through and you can see something written on the back of the paper.
    Anyway, he says in the video, talking about art: “Probably you won’t make a living, but you’ll make a life”. Nice, isn’t it?

Christopher
    Participant
    No badges. No points.

Hi Myriam,

I haven’t commented in a while but I almost look in here daily! I really like your rework of day 70 and last time I commented we talked about structure, I don’t know if you worked on it but at least it looks like it to me. Your portraits look much more accurate and your shading got also cleaner.

I think what you could look into next is your value grouping and edge control. Your sense for local value is good but your shading inside these areas often looks either to soft or messy/unclear.

If you would try to identify if the shadow is a form shadow (like on the cheek area) and therefore soft egded or a cast shadow and therefore generally hard edged that would definitely add more volume, clarity and structure.

Anyway great progress so far, keep going 👍👋

MyriamMyriam
    Participant
    No badges. No points.

Hello Christopher!
    You are so kind and encouraging! I also look at your work, but I never know what to comment as it’s so meticulous and clear and disciplined and good.  🤷🏻‍♀️😊

I haven’t had time to draw lately that’s why I upload quick sketches and some of them look messy.
    Your comments are so much appreciated. 🙌🏼 I have to read them twice though 😁 because I have never attended an art school in my life and drawing-language sounds quite abstract to me.  Shadows seem to be my worst problem, yes, but I really don’t know how to address it. But I’ll work on what you say!
    I guess it’s something you do well after a million drawings.Or Not. Also…  If you have a teacher on your shoulder telling you again and again, and showing you what he means,  I am sure is much faster. 😊 I’d like to learn much faster by the way.

Value grouping, edge control, local value,…. I know, it’s no quantum physics either, haha But I have to concentrate on each one and think about what it means because those expressions are not part of my vocabulary.  Besides, from my point of view, shadows can be anywhere depending on the light, and it’s also posible to have no shadows at all. Am I supposed to correct the light in a bad lighted picture? I usually draw what I see and try to replicate it as well as I can, and most of the time I can’t recognize/see a shadow or a core shadow or a shadow edge…  Maybe that’s the problem. Maybe I should be drawing just shadows for a while?? Maybe that’s something I have to see even if it’s not there?
    May I ask who are you? 😁 I mean, are you a teacher? You sound as a teacher! But it says “participant”. And you are helping me as if you were a teacher.
    I thought at the beginning that Joshua was a student  and then I realized he is a draftsman, painter, sculptor, and New Masters Academy founder! 👏🏼🙌🏼 How am I supposed to comment on a teacher’s work? 🤦🏻‍♀️
    Anyway, I’m just uploading drawings here with the hope of finding some  comments like yours which help me a lot. 🙏🏼 Thank you!

Christopher
    Participant
    No badges. No points.

I don’t even know where to start 🤣

First of all I’m no teacher so please take nothing I suggest as 100% for granted. I also never went to an art school.

I’m just a guy trying to learn all this stuff and dreaming of pursuing art as a job one day. Like many others here too I assume.

Even if my English isn’t as good as you think (I think I often confuse native speakers) the reason why I know all this terms like structure, gesture, value is simply because I learned everything I know about art in English. The available resources in Germany weren’t much and not what I wanted.

To your drawing questions:

The question is if you draw what you see because you don’t know how to do it differently or if that’s how you like to work.

I you prefer working from observation and transferring what you see onto the paper, you should maybe consider watching different courses than for example Steve Huston’s or Glenn Vilppu’s and look into the NMA courses about observational approaches like sight size or the Russian Academic drawingcourse.

I don’t quite remember which courses you were following but just keep in mind that there are different approaches to art and it’s best to know which they are to decide which of them you prefer.

If you simplify it there are the observational approach in which you try to carefully observe what’s in front of you with different techniques which often involves abstract thinking like seeing positive/negative space and careful measurements like angle comparisons.

Than there is a more structural approach which is more leaned towards constructing your subject rather then “copying” it.

What they both have in common to further improve is knowledge about your subject (anatomy) and the fundamentals like perspective, gesture and so on.

I won’t say that you don’t need the knowledge for the observational approach but at least the other more structural way is much more dependent on understanding, especially if you want to work from imagination.

So in short: “Am I supposed to correct the light in a bad lighted picture?”

No but if you learn at least some of the basic principles in art it gives you the possibility to correct and or even change the bad lighted picture if you would want to.

Lastly I’ve drawn a little “diagram” to explain some of those terms. There is more to it like reflected light and occlusion shadow but I wanted to simplify it.

I hope it helps and feel free to ask if something is unclear.

And before you ask, I enjoy helping others and even if I wouldn’t consider it “teaching” in my case, it’s still helpful to ingrain all those information in my brain 😅

MyriamMyriam
    Participant
    No badges. No points.

Hi Christopher! Thank you! Your diagram is very good. 😊
    I have followed Vilppu’s and Huston’s classes for a while now, some of them several times because I am never tired of watching and listening to them. I have done some sight size stuff too. And started with the Russian course. But these are gods, people who have been drawing all their life’s, is like watching a magician!
    What approach I prefer!? I don’t know. I copy photos and drawings, and I always end up doing it quite realistic, but it just happens, it’s not anything I plan! I’d prefer to have my own style and draw from imagination. But that’s more difficult to achieve than I thought. I try different styles, I like almost everything and almost nothing! I rarely like what I do. I wish I could “say anything” with a drawing someday. Maybe it happens, but most probably not. Because it doesn’t even depend on knowing how to draw.

I understand what you say. In Spanish I couldn’t find the good instruction I wanted either. In English is also difficult!
    so here we are. Learning. I appreciate  your advice. Thank you so much. 🙏🏼

MyriamMyriam
    Participant
    No badges. No points.

Today  I’ve had a little bit of time to draw, but not to finish this Agatha Christie.

Viewing 15 posts - 121 through 135 (of 188 total)

You must be logged in to use the forums. Sign Up for a free account or Sign In.