My Muse Project by: @Mike_Art_Attack

Discuss on Discord Register Free

home Forums Art & Artwork Open Critique My Muse Project by: @Mike_Art_Attack

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    Mike_Art_AttackMike_Art_Attack
    Participant
    No points.

Hello everyone and thanks for checking out my work. I hope you enjoy it and decide to leave a critique.

For the past few months I’ve been seriously working at my art. I’ve been pushing myself to expand and grow.
    I thought up this project as a way to get me to explore some different mediums and techniques while retaining a consistent theme throughout the pieces.

The Project Requirements were:
    A total of 12 hours of figure drawings
    A total of 12 hours of portrait drawings
    For a total of 24 hours worth of artwork in the end.

The actual individual pieces can be of any time length and medium desired but there must be at least the following:
    2 Figure works of at least 1 hour
    2 Portrait works of at least 1 hour
    1 Figure Painting
    1 Portrait Painting

Deadline:
    Start Date: 01/13/2018
    Finish Date: 03/10/2018
    I gave myself enough time to work on this project and still meet my other commitments, such as work and family, and simultaneously work on other projects and also “attending classes” here on the NMA website.
    I wanted to hold myself accountable and didn’t just leave it open ended with no end date.

Desired Outcome:
    I will do another version of this project in about 3 months or so, in order to contrast and compare the outcomes of each and see where I’ve grown and where I still need work.

That was one long winded introduction. Thanks for sticking through it.

Below is the project:

——————————–

Chosen Muse: Maude Bonanni -Instagram: @maudebonanni

References:
    I utilized NMA’s image library and chose model Maude Bonanni. There was plenty of reference images available of her in both nude and clothed figure poses and also portraits.

Goals:
    To solidify much of what I’ve learned so far at NMA.
    Push myself into new mediums such as watercolor, gouache, ink wash, and Oil pastels. (Previously I mostly worked in graphite pencil and
    Charcoal only)

I will refrain from describing my view point and opinions on these here to avoid skewing your interpretation and critique of them. I will elaborate on my thoughts and processes later in the comments.

I know that this is a lot of information and art work to go through and I appreciate your time and effort in looking at and your critique of them.
    If it’s any consolation, anyone who gives me an honest critique here, I will do the same for you. Either post your work here on the open critique forum and I’ll find it, or just point me to where your art resides, such as your Instagram, etc…

Thank you so much!

Ohh and I have numbered the images for easy reference when commenting.

———————————

These first few are the quicker gesture drawings I’ve done. I tried to pick a good representative group instead of posting all the dozens of drawings I did.

First The Figure Gestures:

1 to 15 Minute Poses – Wolff’s Carbon Pencil on 18 x 24 Smooth Newsprint:

F1. F2. F3. F4. F5. F6. F7. F8. F9. F10.

The Portrait Gestures:

1 to 15 Minute Poses – Wolff’s Carbon Pencil on 18 x 24 Smooth Newsprint:

P1. P2. P3. P4. P5.

Next are the Finished Figure Pieces:

FF1. – Tom Norton’s Walnut Ink and Ink Wash on 9″ x 12″ Canson XL Mix Media Paper

FF2. – Tom Norton’s Walnut Ink and Ink Wash on 9″ x 12″ Canson XL Mix Media Paper

FF3. – Watercolor and Tom Norton’s Walnut Ink on 9″ x 12″ Canson XL Watercolor Paper.

FF4. – Watercolor and Gouache on 7-1/2″ x 15″ Canson XL Mix Media Paper

And Finally the Finished Portrait Pieces:

FP1. – Wolff’s Carbon Pencil on 18″ x 24″ Smooth Newsprint

FP2. – Tom Norton’s Walnut Ink on 11″ x 14″ Canson XL Mix Media Paper

FP3. – Watercoler on 9″ x 12″ Canson XL Watercolor Paper

FP4. – Tom Norton’s Walnut Ink on 14″ x 17″ Strathmore 300 Smooth Bristol

FP5. – Artist Loft Oil Pastels on 11″ x 14″ Strathmore 400 Toned Gray Paper

You made it to the end! You are Awesome!

Follow my Artistic Journey on Instagram: @Mike_Art_Attack

Thank you!!!!

RudyRudy
    Participant
    No badges. No points.

FF3 is my favorite, I like that style, it sort of reminds me of the art for the early Metal Gear video games. Ink drawing with washes of color, different color palette of course but it’s the same idea.

I also like FF4, I really like the bold lines but some of the half tones (if that’s the right word?) might be the wrong value or the wrong temp? I think you were showing the form turning. It might have been better leaving them out?

doresteinert
    Participant
    No badges. No points.

Hi Mike, I like your versatility, the way you are playing around with styles, materials. Also the gesture, especially in that 15-min. drawing. (I tend to stiffen and mess them up the longer and more detailed I go, so this looks impressive!). If you want any hints, I would advise to put in some extra work in perspective and proportion.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to use the forums. Sign Up for a free account or Sign In.