Making a mold for complexe figure

Discuss on Discord Register Free

home Forums Art Discussion Sculpture Making a mold for complexe figure

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    Stephane Pimienta
    Participant
    No badges. No points.

Hi,

I would need some guideline for the molding process of my Plastiline statue.
    I’m used to do silicon mold with plaster reinforcing shape for portrait or bust but here I’m facing a lot of undercuts.
    The figure is a women sitting on a box, she rotates her bust to look behind. Her right arm laying down on her bust grabs her left leg and her left arm behind her back (see images below)
    I’m planning to cast in Aqua Resin (stronger than plaster)

what molding technique should I use to manage these undercuts? Should I cut arms, legs and make separate molds? In that case how possible is it to paste all the pieces back in acqua resin? Or instead should I build the silicon mold in one piece and then manage the undercuts as shown in Matt Lewis video course?

Many thanks for your tips 😉
    Take care

stéphane (from Paris)

Joshua JacoboJoshua Jacobo
    Keymaster
    No badges. No points.

Great work! Is that box going to be moulded or is it just the clay?

Stephane Pimienta
    Participant
    No badges. No points.

Hi Jacobo,

Thanks for your reply! The box is going to be cast in concrete. Only the figure needs to be molded in silicon.

cheers

stephane

Niels Hoppe
    Participant
    No badges. No points.

Plastiline that contains sulfur may interfere with silicone. I guess you already knew that, due to you mentioning that you’ve already done some molding with silicone but I thought I’d mention it, in case that this is your first plasticine sculpt. Sadly I can’t give you advice regarding a certain technique for undercuts.

• This reply was modified 3 years, 10 months ago by Niels Hoppe.
    Stephane Pimienta
    Participant
    No badges. No points.

Hi Niels,

thanks for your warning. The Plastiline I’m using works well with silicon mold (I didn’t know about incompatibility with sulfur though) and is quite versatile.
    http://www.plastiline.fr

cheers

stephane

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to use the forums. Sign Up for a free account or Sign In.