Looking for critiques on some recent figure work!

Discuss on Discord Register Free

home Forums Art & Artwork Open Critique Looking for critiques on some recent figure work!

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    Kevin
    Participant
    No badges. No points.

Hi, I’ve been working on my figure drawing a lot and experimenting with new ways to draw. Here’s some of my drawings  and paintings from the past year. I’d love to get a critique!

Above is an hour figure drawing. I started with a sanguine underdrawing then drew the rest with conte paris charcoal pencil. From october 2019

Above is a painting I did from a photo reference.  From october 2019 as well

Above are some gestures from December 2019

Some hour long figures from January 2020. I’m mainly just drawing with a charcoal conte paris pencil

Above is a recent painting I did in January. I painted with way too much solvent and accidentally used brush cleaner as my solvent so I had trouble controlling the medium. January 2020

Above are some drawings from February 2020. This time I tried to emphasize more on value and shape. So I started using a chamois and toning my newsprint paper with charcoal before I started drawing. I focused much more on a painterly approach to the figure drawings, with much less emphasis on lines.  February 2020

A recent painting from February 2020. I should’ve toned the canvas better beforehand!

This is my most recent work. I haven’t been able to go to figure drawing since. I focus much more on shapes and line. I’m much more focused on rendering and block in shapes in a painterly style.  Feb 2020

Recent NMA courses that I have been getting through:

Rendering Techniques with Chris Legaspi

A little bit of Russian Academic Drawing Approach

Bill Perkins Color Series

I would love to have a critique on my current progress as well as what you think I could improve on going forward. Thanks!

Josseline JeriaJosseline Jeria
    Participant
    No badges. No points.

Hi Kevin

I’ve hardly done any figure work so I can’t provide useful feedback for it, but I can say that you can clearly see you’ve been working and can see the overall improvement in your drawing, so keep it up!

I have more experience with painting though. It is a lovely portrait. I like seeing that you’re trying to preserve the brushwork, which I personally like in paintings. The overall colour scheme works well. As for solvents, I’ve had that problem too. I’ve ended up now hardly using solvents, if I do it’s just a bare brush dip, otherwise I paint with paint only and also just brush dip into some linseed oil to help spread the paint. I think also focusing even more on being deliberate with placement of each brushwork to even more prevent mudding up of colours by blending more than necessary. I struggle with this so much! takes a lot of discipline to put the stroke down and just leave it there, And trying to not line the lips and above the upper eye lid – something also that I need to work on myself.

Keep it up!

Joshua JacoboJoshua Jacobo
    Keymaster
    No badges. No points.

Thanks for sharing these! I’m trying to organize everything for upcoming critique videos now!

Kevin
    Participant
    No badges. No points.

Hi Josseline,

Thank you for the critique! I’ve moved away from using any solvent at all in my painting and have been using neo megilp from gamblin instead. You’re right that I lined the lips and upper eyelids too much. I still have tendency to focus on line rather than shape, which I’ve been working on!

Jacob,

Thanks ahead of time for the critique. I look forward to seeing the critique videos!

TimTim
    Participant
    No badges. No points.

Hi Kevin

I really liked your mark making and colours in painted portrait al your hard practice is bearing beautiful frui

Kind regards

Tim

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to use the forums. Sign Up for a free account or Sign In.