Leo Mancini-Hresko Critique | @vergil_c

Discuss on Discord Register Free

home Forums Art & Artwork Open Critique Leo Mancini-Hresko Critique | @vergil_c

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author
    Leo Mancini-HreskoLeo Mancini-Hresko
    Participant
    No points.

Overall these are well drawn, and mostly accurate. I’ll lay out a few small corrections, and at the end offer a few thoughts, more in terms of technique.

Eye#1 is well conceived – only large angle difference is slight, there is a discrepancy between the general angle of the eye and brow, laid out as point C. Simply paying more attention to that sort of long angle will give the eye the feeling it is protruding, and moving to the left. You can see this sort of rhythmic difference in the eyelid and the cornea – they both feel a little flat. Point B is a small issue, the negative space between the plumb line and lower lid felt a touch small. Point marked A was just moving a bit too much towards vertical. Should move as marked.

Eye #2 is also overall well drawn. Again, the lid feels a little flat, as if this eye is slightly more tired than in the Bargue. Point marked B feels a little too short, and needs to bend a touch. The lower lid, both marked C felt a little heavy.

Overall, good job, but take more care with your setup and mark making.

This is a larger critique: The paper could stand to be a bit more straight and taped down, seems all four corners are coming up. After that I would take more care with your mark making, the pencil should be sharpened regularly, and you should be able to get a little more contrast and diverse line weight. Try to make it not only ‘like’ in angle, but like in technique. Try to make it beautiful.

Remember, the Bargue projects are for mainly two things: to practice accuracy to a degree that you might not have, and to practice technique, line weight, modeling and control. You should focus a bit on the second one. I would recommend doing a Bargue next with some tonal values.

999999999z
    Participant
    No badges. No points.

Thank you very much @mancinihreskogmail-com. It’s great to get critiqued from course instructor. I have a question from you advise “You should focus a bit on the second one. I would recommend doing a Bargue next with some tonal values.” It’s mean I should skip all in Bargue plate 1 and plate 2 and do a plate 3 like your course.  Am I right? Or should I focus on line weight in next piece in plate 1 and draw a thick line as a tonal values.

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

You must be logged in to use the forums. Sign Up for a free account or Sign In.