Jean’s 100 Day Challenge Portraits in Pen/Graphite

Discuss on Discord Register Free

home Forums Challenges & Activities 100 Day Art Challenge Jean’s 100 Day Challenge Portraits in Pen/Graphite

Tagged: ,

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 29 total)
  • Author
    Jean CarlosJean Carlos
    Participant
    No badges. No points.

I try to draw on every opportunity I can get. Usually it means on lunch breaks and after work. Previously I’ve tried to improve everything at the same time – portrait, figure, hands, costumes, characters, landscapes, value, color – and I found that it does not work very well for me.

In this challenge, I will focus only on portraits, light/shadow, value simplification and shapes.

See you soon!

Jean CarlosJean Carlos
    Participant
    No badges. No points.

This is a sketch I did of a reference from Sktchy App.

ZHI SUZHI SU
    Participant
    No badges. No points.

This is so lovely! Makes me want to try digital drawings someday.

Jean CarlosJean Carlos
    Participant
    No badges. No points.

@Zhi Su Thank you! That was pencil sketch with some editing to remove saturation and fix areas where the photo had a few shadows/dark spots.

The following sketch is how they look like straight from the camera. Let me know what you like best!

• This reply was modified 3 years, 10 months ago by Jean CarlosJean Carlos.
    Jean CarlosJean Carlos
    Participant
    No badges. No points.

4th time’s the charm. I was trying to upload two images at the same time, one a process shot and the finished sketch. But all posts were not saved for some reason. Maybe it doesn’t accept more than one image being uploaded?

Anyway, here’s the finished sketch.

freddybausley4
    Participant
    No badges. No points.

I’m going to try this challenge

Christopher
    Participant
    No badges. No points.

Hi Jean,

I really like the second one especially the type of rendering with all those lost edges and the face being the clear focal point since it’s rendered the most.

I also like how you worked the edges but I’m not quite sure if it might look a bit to rounded since the cheek and jaw bones seem to be really dominant a more angular or sharper edge style could have been more suitable but I’m not sure about that.

Lastly even if I like the big out of focus shapes I think the hair could have a tiny bit more value variation. Your last picture has the same effect which makes them kind of look like framed masks, at least to me 😅

But I think you are on a good way and I really like your overall approach of rendering 👍

Jean CarlosJean Carlos
    Participant
    No badges. No points.

Today’s sketch!

Jean CarlosJean Carlos
    Participant
    No badges. No points.

Huh, weird. I had posted this earlier today, but for some reason it’s not showing in the thread.

Anyway, here it is again. A process shot and the final sketch.

Jean CarlosJean Carlos
    Participant
    No badges. No points.

Huh, weirdly enough this is the 3rd time I’m making the same post. The previous two are not showing up at all.

Anyway, here’s today sketches. A little process shot and the finished sketch.

Jean CarlosJean Carlos
    Participant
    No badges. No points.

Oops, seems like my posts were saved after all. 🙂

Hi @Christopher! Thank you for stopping by! I really enjoy playing with lost and soft edges – especially with graphite. Contrasting them with hard edges is very satisfying. I have to agree with you on the hair part, it’s something that I don’t usually have the patience to do with pen/pencil, mainly because it takes so much time. My current focus is on the structure of the head, shapes and value simplification. My strategy with this is so I can do it faster and more accurately so I can focus on learning/doing other things, such as hair, costumes and all that cool stuff. Primarily because I don’t have much time to practice. But taking your critique into account, in today’s sketch I tried to give the hair a little more love!

Ian Coltman
    Participant
    No badges. No points.

These are very nice!

What kind of pen did you use for this latest profile portrait?

Chris_LegaspiChris_Legaspi
    Participant
    No badges. No points.

Hi Jean. Nice drawings so far. I love the way you clearly define the planes and the shadow. It gives your heads so much structure. Look forward to seeing your drawings after a 100 days

• This reply was modified 3 years, 10 months ago by Chris_LegaspiChris_Legaspi.
    Jean CarlosJean Carlos
    Participant
    No badges. No points.

@Ian Thank you! The pen is a Micron 0.3mm

@Chris Thank you so much Chris! You’re such a huge inspiration and definitely one of the artists I look up to. I watched your lessons here on NMA several times and a few years ago your free tutorials on YouTube. The planes and shadows is something that I take from your own way of drawing, so your words mean a lot to me!

Jean CarlosJean Carlos
    Participant
    No badges. No points.

Hi! These are some quick sketches focusing on shapes and some stylisation. I’m watching some Steve Huston videos today so had to make them quick

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 29 total)

You must be logged in to use the forums. Sign Up for a free account or Sign In.