Jaylene’s Oil Paintings Stilllife series

Discuss on Discord Register Free

home Forums Art & Artwork Finished Work Jaylene’s Oil Paintings Stilllife series

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Author
    JayleneJaylene
    Participant
    No points.

This is my homemade still life set up.  The objects are just Styrofoam, wood, PVC, or paper shapes sometimes covered with acrylic paint.  I made my own shadow box out of black foam core and used cheap colored paper for different backgrounds.  The whole thing sits on inexpensive over bed table so I can adjust the height of the still life arrangement for whether I am standing or sitting at my easel (usually sitting) or to change my point of view.  The objects themselves are really boring, but I really enjoy arranging them. I am not trying to work on color right now.  I want to improve my tonal values so I can turn form and give a sense of depth and space in oil paint.  I thought I would start posting in hopes of seeing some progress and improvement.

JayleneJaylene
    Participant
    No points.

Not an oil painting but a Bargue plate in charcoal and white pastel on gray paper.  Not exactly sight-size either, more like a “, method to my madness” grid

JayleneJaylene
    Participant
    No points.

TimTim
    Participant
    No badges. No points.

Nice to see your work and studio  Jaylene

Tim

JayleneJaylene
    Participant
    No points.

Thanks Tim.  I am still trying to crack the light code for my set up.  It always seems too much light or not enough.  Its a learning experience.  I am about to rearrange everything again.  Hopefully it will work this time and not be just “resistance”.

• This reply was modified 3 years, 6 months ago by JayleneJaylene.
    TimTim
    Participant
    No badges. No points.

The charcoal and white pastel is beautiful ,

I would like to use white “charcoal ” but I need to find the right paper for it to sit on erased willow or vine I love willow its like your sketch could blow away.

JayleneJaylene
    Participant
    No points.

I like the smooth side of canson mi teintes paper.  It takes a lot of layers of charcoal/pastel and it is tough enough for some initial erasing and it doesn’t have that annoying grid pattern that some “charcoal” papers have.  The sky blue color of mi teintes paper was recommended to me by Anthony Waichulis, a trompe l’oeil painter in his Language of Drawing program.  Its a good middle tone for the general’s charcoal pencils as they are rather bluish.  Vine charcoal is awesome.  I think its has a more neutral tone, less blue than compressed or pencil style charcoal so the sky blue color might not be a good choice.

TimTim
    Participant
    No badges. No points.

Thanks Jaylene the materials have such lovely names ,I saw a guy put on a midtone in vine  erase it put in the darks  with compressed and then sensitively used a 558 general white charcoal I ve tried a few papers but couldn’t get my white which is Derwent to go on like  his I will try your suggestion .

I’ve just started  this July  and after buying a few Paints have decided to now focus  on drawing / tonal values for a while ,thanks for your kind reply .

Tim

TimTim
    Participant
    No badges. No points.

Curtis HayesCurtis Hayes
    Participant
    No points.

I love the bargue study 👏

JayleneJaylene
    Participant
    No points.

Tim:  I didn’t see this until now.  Great job! Beautiful charcoal still life.  Very nice, love the reflections.

JayleneJaylene
    Participant
    No points.

Thank you!

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

You must be logged in to use the forums. Sign Up for a free account or Sign In.