Jaylene’s 2nd 100 Day Challenge: Gesture Figure Drawing

Discuss on Discord Register Free

home Forums Challenges & Activities 100 Day Art Challenge Jaylene’s 2nd 100 Day Challenge: Gesture Figure Drawing

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 131 total)
  • Author
    JayleneJaylene
    Participant
    No points.

So this is my 2nd 100 Day Challenge.  I have decided to work on gesture figure drawing everyday for 100 days.  I will used the timed figure drawing sessions and/or Mr Vilpu’s beginning gesture figure drawing class.  I learned a lot in during my head construction challenge and this time I don’t have any excuses for not posting everyday.  I also want to more actively encourage other people participating in the 100 day challenge because so many people encouraged me.

JayleneJaylene
    Participant
    No points.

Day 1 09072020

JayleneJaylene
    Participant
    No points.

Day 2

Debbie H
    Participant
    No badges. No points.

Hi Jaylene. Welcome back! The heads are certainly not going to be the weakness in your figures this challenge are they 🙂?! I have “gesture, structure, gesture, structure” seared into my brain from my study so far. That’s my best suggestion – always be looking for both. Looking forward to following your progress.

JayleneJaylene
    Participant
    No points.

Day 3

• This reply was modified 3 years, 7 months ago by JayleneJaylene.
    • This reply was modified 3 years, 7 months ago by JayleneJaylene.
    JayleneJaylene
    Participant
    No points.

I don’t know about that.  It took me two 4 hour sessions to get one figure blocked in accurately from life.  With a 10sec or 2 min time limit I don’t have much hope, but we will carry on.

JayleneJaylene
    Participant
    No points.

Day 4

JayleneJaylene
    Participant
    No points.

Day 5

Gesture with light gray marker then corrected with pencil and pen to add structure

JayleneJaylene
    Participant
    No points.

Day 5 update

I just realized why my photos are so crappy…. protective film still stuck to the lense.   Sigh….I feel sheepish.  

Debbie H
    Participant
    No badges. No points.

These look good! I’m slow at drawing too. I’m learning that that’s okay. As Steve Huston says, the time limit isn’t to make you rush, it’s just to focus on the thing at hand and stop you taking everything to a final finish. He says that regardless of the length of the pose, he doesn’t draw faster, he just gets farther with a longer timed pose. I found that encouraging and it helped me relax. I hope it does you too 🙂

Christopher
    Participant
    No badges. No points.

In our stage of development many of us don’t have a solidified process yet, meaning we probably do many unnecessary steps in between our work. So I think it’s totally normal to feel slow.

Even if you would think you are faster wouldn’t necessarily mean you are “better”, simply because there is fast and there’s let’s call it “uncoordinated”. I often got this problem because even after I learned something I often get impatient and clueless while working so I rush through it not applying what I learned.

My point is: Don’t worry I think many of us feel like that and in the beginning stages it shouldn’t even matter.

But back to your challenge. I do really like your figures and gestures. I can’t say why or what it is but I think they are really expressive. 👋

JayleneJaylene
    Participant
    No points.

Thank you Deborah and Christopher, your comments are very insightful.  I won’t worry about finishing in time and just try to stay in the moment. 🙂

JayleneJaylene
    Participant
    No points.

JayleneJaylene
    Participant
    No points.

JayleneJaylene
    Participant
    No points.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 131 total)

You must be logged in to use the forums. Sign Up for a free account or Sign In.