Ian’s Sketchbook

Discuss on Discord Register Free

home Forums Art & Artwork Sketchbooks Ian’s Sketchbook

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    Ian CroweIan Crowe
    Participant
    No badges. No points.

Greetings and Salutations,

My name is Ian and this is my ‘sketchbook’.

I thought I’d post a little bit about me before I start posting on here, just so you have a bit of background and know my starting point.

I’m 34, a father to a little boy and a husband.

When I was in my early to mid-teens I was an avid drawer, I used to love it. I can remember drawing my favourite football players (soccer, I’m from the UK), I’d watch a movie like The Mask and then draw many pictures of him, I was just inspired, I wanted to be an artist.

However, my family continuously told me ‘you can’t make money from art’ or ‘you’ll never get a decent job drawing’. Obviously, they had good intentions but were speaking from ignorance. Unfortunately, I believed them as the more it went on the less I drew, the less I sculpted in school and then when it came to going to High School I did IT instead of Art and have barely picked up a pencil since.

I’ve tried, but the nagging feeling of ‘I can’t do this anymore’ or ‘I’m too old’ (in my 20’s right?) and I soon stopped again.

At 34, a bit wiser and with a very supportive wife now realise I’m not too old, I can draw, just not the way I want to, yet, and I have 50+ years ahead of me (I hope).

Due to my current circumstances with wife, work and child I can’t go to an Art School (not sure I want to from what I’ve heard), I’ve decided to use New Masters Academy so my school and education, especially as there are multiple world-class tutors, and with their own take on the same subject. I was initially going to try a Portraiture or Figure drawing course first but soon realised I don’t honestly know the fundamentals.

With that I’d started the Fundamentals course and enjoying the exercises so far, and over the next few days will go through the courses properly and work our a curriculum to follow over the next 12-18 months.

I know it’s going to be a long old slog, but in the words of the S.A.S (or Delboy from Only Fools and Horses) ‘Who Dares Wins’.

That’s enough waffle, I’ll post a bit of what I’ve been working on in the next post.

Ian CroweIan Crowe
    Participant
    No badges. No points.

Some of what I’ve been doing in the first week.

Ian CroweIan Crowe
    Participant
    No badges. No points.

Carlise Azmitia
    Participant
    No badges. No points.

Hi Ian! You have a great start! One of the many things that stood out to me, and found it helped me in the beginning, was Chris Legaspi’s advice: Try not to use the eraser for highlights/bright spots when starting out. I’m still trying to work it all out too so I’m open for any advice. 🙂

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to use the forums. Sign Up for a free account or Sign In.