Hello my fellow art enthusiasts

Discuss on Discord Register Free

home Forums Start Here: Introduce Yourself! Hello my fellow art enthusiasts

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    Josseline JeriaJosseline Jeria
    Participant
    No badges. No points.

Hello everyone,

I am from Sydney and feel so fortunate to have begun my first ever art education here with NMA.

I am one of the less common ones who didn’t grow up drawing or involved in art in any way. I came to fall in love with it only in the past few years. In 2017 I bought the cheapest b&w acrylic paint, brushes and paper that I could get a hold of and made some rudimentary marks as a form of mental health therapy. I picked up a primary warm and cool acrylic set of paints in late 2017-2018 and painted a small handful of pieces – nothing of note. It wasn’t until April of this year that I started back again. I started by doing some painting follow-along tutorials on Youtube and truly came to realize, “hey, I genuinely enjoy painting”. I started making my own paintings with the bits of knowledge here and there that I gathered but quickly came to realize that if I ever wanted to paint anything good, I needed to learn how to draw. I continued along finding what I could on Youtube and whilst doing so, I came across NMA’s channel. I sat on the idea of subscribing for 2 months, and finally decided to subscribe late October. I don’t say this lightly, but making this decision is one of the best I’ve made in a long time. Art has brought such a tremendous sense of joy and passion into my life, I feel so grateful for having it enter my life, even though I wish it had been a couple decades earlier.

The first course I started with was the Head drawing for beginners course and I am about three-quarters of the was through. It has been wonderful so far and I’m so proud of how much I’ve been able to learn and have achieved thus far. Also, I have recently finished Bill Perkin’s Colour Theory Bootcamp course. It was fantastic and I highly, highly recommend it!

I have been posting my work on my Instagram account (@josseline_jeria_) but I am long overdue to beginning to be active on here, so this is my start 🙂 Sending all my best wishes to you all. This pursuit is an incredible feat, but one that we are all fortunate to be on.

Joshua JacoboJoshua Jacobo
    Keymaster
    No badges. No points.

Welcome and nice to see you posting on insta! We look forward to watching your growth!

MaartjeMaartje
    Participant
    No points.

Welcome!
    I’ve started here with A beginners guide to drawing and I learned so much from it, even though I’ve been drawing for a while. Also a very good place to start! I’ll certainly take a look at the courses you mentioned! They were not on my list yet 😉 Looking forward to see your progress!

Christian Lie
    Participant
    No badges. No points.

Good to have you here! I’m still very new to art and drawing myself. Although i did draw quite a bit when i was younger. Ever since i started this course i’ve seen a lot of progress so i’m very excited to keep on learning.

Participant
    No badges. No points.

Thanks Jacob. I had slowed down the intensity of study in the new year as I was feeling burned out, but the momentum is building up again. Looking forward to putting in the time and work.

Participant
    No badges. No points.

Hi Maartje 🙂

I undertook the Introduction to Drawing course at the beginning of the year – it was great! I had covered some parts here and there from the other courses I’ve done so far, but I got a lot out of going through them again and learned parts that I didn’t know otherwise. I loved Bill Perkin’s section on gesture. Though I hadn’t formally learned it at that point, I had watched and listened about it passively, but found it difficult to grasp. Bill helped me understand the concept and purpose of gesture a lot.

Have you started any new courses in the new year?

Cheers

Participant
    No badges. No points.

Hi Christian

I still find it a bit overwhelming and intimidating, but the discomfort is lessing the more and more I practice. The discomfort of course doesn’t come from the act of drawing itself – what a joy it is! It’s all the mental chatter and resistance.
    Which course/s have you taken here so far?

Cheers

Ellis LiuEllis Liu
    Participant
    No badges. No points.

Hey Josseline, it’s so inspiring to see your artwork on instagram! My goal is to start an account on my art soon and connect with like minded individuals 🙂 The only issues is that it takes me so long to finish a piece. Would love to hear which pieces of yours has been a personal favourite?

El xx

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

You must be logged in to use the forums. Sign Up for a free account or Sign In.