Hello!

Discuss on Discord Register Free
Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    Jeff VehigeJeff Vehige
    Participant
    No badges. No points.

Hey everyone. I’m Jeff, and I live on the beach in South Carolina.

I started painting for the first time a few years ago (when I was 42) after rediscovering Bob Ross on Hulu. I used to watch him when I was in college but was too poor to buy art supplies. It was supposed to be a hobby, nothing more. But I fell in love with painting. From Bob Ross, I moved to his teacher, Bill Alexander, and was even took a few lessons from Alexander Art.

But I eventually grew bored with landscape painting and wanted to get into portraits and figures. Also, my love of art kept increasing, and my wife has encouraged me to pursue it professionally, with the goal to be working fine artist in ten years (I turned 45 this past April).

So in my attempt to take my skills to the next level, I started drawing a lot, and that led me to look closely at Watts Online Atelier and New Masters Academy. I’ve been with Watts for the last three months and only been with NMA over the previous three weeks. I’ve decided, for the time being, to leave Watts and come here. The cost was NOTa factor for me; rather, while I love listening to Jeff Watts talk, I’ve been very impressed with Steve Huston and think he’s a better teacher. Also, the resources here are more expansive, and I really like jumping to the Image Library to find a model to draw than searching the Internet.

At any rate, I’m delighted to be her. I’m looking forward to learning from Steve. And I’m looking forward to seeing everyone’s work.

• This topic was modified 4 years, 8 months ago by Jeff VehigeJeff Vehige.
    Joshua JacoboJoshua Jacobo
    Keymaster
    No badges. No points.

Welcome, Jeff! I think you’ve definitely come to the right place to get more serious about your craft.

Steve is a fantastic artist and teacher but he is just one of a powerhouse roster here at NMA. There is so much to learn from the artists here and it all builds into a more comprehensive and deep understanding of art.

I look forward to seeing how you progress!

I wish you good fortune on your artistic journey!

Jeff VehigeJeff Vehige
    Participant
    No badges. No points.

Thank you, Joshua!

After reading my post, I want to clarify that I have nothing against Watts Atelier or Jeff Watts. I think Jeff Watts is an incredible draftsman and painter, but he teaches at a high level. (He himself admits as much.) At this moment in my training, I think I need a more basic approach.

I’ve been spending a lot of time looking at the different courses here at NMA and I’m eager to study several of them. But for now, my primary focus in on the head and the figure.

• This reply was modified 4 years, 7 months ago by Jeff VehigeJeff Vehige.
Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to use the forums. Sign Up for a free account or Sign In.