Graphite portrait drawing

Discuss on Discord Register Free

home Forums Art & Artwork Open Critique Graphite portrait drawing

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    Josseline JeriaJosseline Jeria
    Participant
    No badges. No points.

Hi everyone,

Drawing is what I feel least confident with when it comes to art, so I want to slowly start sharing some on my work on here in an effort to help me improve.

This is a graphite portrait drawing I made of the neuroscientist, Jaak Pankseep. He is a significant role model and inspiration of mine, so I tried my hardest to draw this as well as I could. This is also a sort of preparation for an oil painting I want to make of this image.

I feel I focused too much on the emotional connection and realism at the sacrifice of solid construction and form.

I wanted to create an image with a high to mid major key, with a high to mid minor key for his portrait, mid minor key for the rat, and low minor key for the clothing.

I wasn’t sure how to create an overall high major key for this image. I wanted this image to be only graphite, so was unsure how to achieve it well with no use of whites. I used 2H, H, HB and B for this.

Thanks in advance for any help and feedback 🙂

ZHI SUZHI SU
    Participant
    No badges. No points.

Beautiful drawing! I can feel the passion of the person and the liveliness of the mouse. I don’t think you need white, but you could make some of your darks darker. I suppose some of the shadow areas could match or get close to the value of the mouse’s eye.

Josseline JeriaJosseline Jeria
    Participant
    No badges. No points.

Thanks Zhi! ah that means so much to me, especially the part of the passion. He indeed was a pretty passionate man, so glad that came across.

Yeah I was thinking about doing that when I was drawing it but I find it tricky at times to properly assess and make sure I’m staying within a set value range. Is this in regard to his face and neck?

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to use the forums. Sign Up for a free account or Sign In.