Finally here

Discuss on Discord Register Free
Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    Haidar
    Participant
    No points.

So glad to have joined this platform and school. I come from a software developer background and started my art journey about a year ago after burnout. Discovered drawing as a perfect way for releasing any tension etc. So I’ve been basically just drawing basic forms in 3d space. I don’t have any portfolio or the like. I just want to set the basics and feel comfortable with that. I’ve been reading a bit earlier on perspective, Drawing on the right side of the brain and some other art books. Finally I have a good video collection instead that can support me. I’m really excited to get started 🙂

Joshua JacoboJoshua Jacobo
    Keymaster
    No badges. No points.

Welcome to the community!

Thinking spatially is one of the most important things you can learn how to do (and it is difficult for many people).

I would say though that try to be sensitive to line, curve, and gesture as well. I look forward to seeing you share your results here on the forums!

Josseline JeriaJosseline Jeria
    Participant
    No badges. No points.

Hi Haider 🙂 Great to have you here.

I discovered painting, and naturally following from that, drawing as part of mental health therapy – and then I was hooked. I started with basic forms as well – cubes, spheres, cylinders, and perspective. I found my drawings at times looked stiff, static and “life less” . I’m learning gesture now and it’s improving those aspects.

Which course/s are you planning to take in the beginning?

Cheers

Haidar
    Participant
    No points.

Hey Josseline

Thanks! I’m really excited about the gesture courses too, I started looking at one with Vilpuu. However I will be reviewing some of the basics for beginners too as there’s always something new to learn. I try to to balance it out with actually practicing, as that’s the only way to get better and lowering the barriers for getting started on a blank page.

Did you complete the basics here at NMA?

Josseline JeriaJosseline Jeria
    Participant
    No badges. No points.

Vilpuu will be wonderful to start with for gesture. I have started Karl Gnass’ Spirit of the Pose and afterwards plan to move onto Vilpuu. Enjoying the course so far 🙂
    That’s absolutely right! Lowering the barriers is so important, especially as a beginner I think. On days where I really struggle, I just draw the simple forms and practice line quality. It all adds up in the end.

Yes I did! Would be a perfect start to the education here. I probably should have started with that course when I signed up last year in October, but I jumped  into the Head Drawing for Beginners course first. Though it is such a fun and well put together course that it truly is accessible for beginners.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to use the forums. Sign Up for a free account or Sign In.