Executing an Oil Painting

Discuss on Discord Register Free

home Forums Courses & Lessons Discussion Executing an Oil Painting

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    New Masters AcademyNew Masters Academy
    Keymaster
    No badges. No points.

In this video lesson artist and author, Juliette Aristides will take you through the process of creating an oil painting of a woman from behind from start-to-finish. You will learn the practical steps required from the initial study to a more complete work. Juliette will demonstrate various concepts such as value, line, chiaroscuro, form, color and much more.

Materials

• Toned Canvas Panel
    • Paper Towel
    • Bamboo Skewer
    • Micron Pen – Black
    • Stretched Canvas
    • Nitram Academie Fusains Charcoal Sticks
    • Artists Grade Oil Colors
    • Paintbrushes
    farzin
    Participant
    No badges. No points.

This video lesson and “A Realist Approach to Drawing and Painting” are great fundamental paths to classical painting. The only thing I haven’t found was the “pallets” in advance. It would be great if we knew what pallet have been used ahead of time!

Steve Munro
    Participant
    No badges. No points.

Good to watch but its ending was a bit bizarre – it just ended, no completion or gathering of learning materials, no completion of the portrait, nothing to say it was coming to an end. It just ended. That was frustrating and bizarre.

gil_mello
    Participant
    No badges. No points.

My comment now is about the beginning…it just started with the sketch using the brush over the imprimatura… the artist mentions a “poster study”, but for a beginner this is not a given, the instructor should spend few minutes explaining the technique, materials and choice of palette prior to starting. Also, is this expected to be Alla Prima approach from start to finish? or the artist intend to let the first layer dry and then apply paint layers (i.e., glazing) after? I am an admirer of Juliette Aristides, I love her art and technique as well as her writing… as a suggestion, perhaps she should be allowed back in this instruction venue with a more didactic approach to painting in oil.

gil_mello
    Participant
    No badges. No points.

Now starting Part 8, I see the instructor using a “full color” palette, but no explanation on what made her choose the colors. It would not be a complete issue if this demonstration was made solely for advanced purpose, however the beginning or intermediate audience may find it difficult to understand. Please consider a revision of this painting instruction in the future to include more technical description of materials and techniques!

gil_mello
    Participant
    No badges. No points.

My final comment on J. Aristides “Executing an Oil Painting”: the artist is well known and her work is superb, she worked it as she mentioned somewhere in the video, as an unfinished/sketched painting. My suggestions to NMA team is to assure that any artist introduce the work they are going to perform in the fist segment of the videos, so we, the students, do not stay guessing what they intend to do or trying to understand why the artist had the choice of a palette, the materials and canvas they use, etc… Another criticism to the videos presented is that the artist had a slightly different view of the model (I assume it was a live model) than the view we had (all the time it was a still photograph of the model showing on the right side), and this was not okay because it mislead the viewers. I think a better approach would be to have the picture taken from the artist’s seat before the session stars.

Melanie Magee
    Participant
    No badges. No points.

Very interesting and Nice finish, although a little too indirect and time consuming for me.

but maybe that’s what it takes.

Her neck seemed a little too thick in drawing.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to use the forums. Sign Up for a free account or Sign In.