Erik’s 100 Day Challenge: Say More With Less

Discuss on Discord Register Free

home Forums Challenges & Activities 100 Day Art Challenge Erik’s 100 Day Challenge: Say More With Less

Viewing 15 posts - 76 through 90 (of 197 total)
  • Author
    Christopher
    Participant
    No badges. No points.

Hi Erik,

I know day 28 is after Glenn Vilppu but what I like more about it compared to your attempt on day 29 are the simple shadow shapes. Your attempt has more gradations and rendering while day 28 is basically just edges with clean shadow shapes. I don’t know if that was intended and I also know it’s a matter of taste but maybe you weren’t conscious about it.

Speaking of simple shapes, I really like day 35. The high contrast and the simple light shape has a slight glowing effect to me 👍

erikdenneserikdennes
    Participant
    No points.

Day 36

Thanks for the feedback Christopher! I really feel like I am a beginner with invented light on organic forms.

Spanish sailors in the 16th century when they got into San Juan port would immediately walk through the gate, up the hill to the cathedral and give thanks for a safe journey.  I used to work on cruise lines as a musician and whenever I got into port here i would walk to the cathedral and meditate in the cool, calm, quiet interior of this building.

I did more perspective corrections today. It doesn’t look like I did much, but I worked on it a long time.
    San Juan 2

Ian Coltman
    Participant
    No badges. No points.

Wow!  Nice work, as usual… very bold color!

erikdenneserikdennes
    Participant
    No points.

Day 30

went back to the fundamentals and basic construction today.

No 1

No 2

No 3

erikdenneserikdennes
    Participant
    No points.

Day 37

Portrait studies on cinderblock. I think they both need one more pass.

Portrait cinder

erikdenneserikdennes
    Participant
    No points.

Day 38
    Brought the oil paints today. Two more portrait studies, acrylic underpainting.

Multicultural 2

erikdenneserikdennes
    Participant
    No points.

Day 38

Redid yesterday’s studies in oil. I kept hearing Bill Perkin’s voice in my head “Make a Plan for color temperature!”

Portrait redo

Shazad Madon
    Participant
    No badges. No points.

<b>          </b>

• This reply was modified 3 years, 7 months ago by Shazad Madon.
    • This reply was modified 3 years, 7 months ago by Shazad Madon.
    erikdenneserikdennes
    Participant
    No points.

Day 39

Not much time to work today. Quick study from the Bill Perkins value boot camp lesson. Butchered – they can’t all be winners!

Vale boot camp study

erikdenneserikdennes
    Participant
    No points.

Day 40

I was sick as a dog yesterday, so I was unable to post. Worked on resolving more perspective issues on the Cathedral painting and some quick portrait sketches. The cottonwood arts sketchbook is really nice! Takes graphite so well!

Portrait sketches

erikdenneserikdennes
    Participant
    No points.

Day 41

Lots of pages of sketching today. Here is one.

Sketch 1

erikdenneserikdennes
    Participant
    No points.

Day 42

I have been working on a study of Jacques Louis David’s drawing “The Combat of Diomedes”.  Here is a portion of it. I also did a trace over simplifying the figures into simple forms. Then I tried to work from imagination with the simple forms to create figures.

Combat

elizabeth hone
    Participant
    No badges. No points.

Nices horses Erik.

erikdenneserikdennes
    Participant
    No points.

Day 43

Reviewing perspective lessons. This one is from Gary Meyer. I need to do A LOT more of this kind of drawing because I am painfully slow at it.

Gary Meyer

Christopher
    Participant
    No badges. No points.

Hi Erik,

is this lesson about distortion or camera lenses? It looks nicely drawn but the converging verticals kind of confuse me because it looks more like a 2point perspective with the observer being slightly elevated instead of the viewer looking up and therefore the picture plane not being perpendicular to the scene.

I hope that makes somewhat sense 😅

• This reply was modified 3 years, 7 months ago by Christopher.
Viewing 15 posts - 76 through 90 (of 197 total)

You must be logged in to use the forums. Sign Up for a free account or Sign In.