Drawing the Clothed Figure

Discuss on Discord Register Free

home Forums Courses & Lessons Discussion Drawing the Clothed Figure

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    New Masters AcademyNew Masters Academy
    Keymaster
    No badges. No points.

In this lesson, NMA master draftsman Glenn Vilppu will demonstrate the techniques and knowledge needed to draw clothed figures. You will learn how to capture the different folds and patterns that fabrics have when on a figure. Glenn will teach you how to push the gesture and rhythm of the pose through the garments. You will gain an understanding of the importance of drawing the clothed figure and how it is relative to many other artistic fields. At the end of each session, you will be given a assignment to complete that has a chance to be critiqued next session.

Join NMA master draftsman Glenn Vilppu for an 8-week interactive Live Class, as he draws from figure models and historical examples of clothed figures. You will learn how to capture the performance, emotion, and weighting of the pose. Gaining knowledge of the seven major folds, approaches for using drapery to push the gesture of the pose and show the form beneath, as well as how different fabrics behave. This Live Class is perfect for fine artists, entertainment designers, illustrators, comic & anime artists, and animators, as well as portrait painters or for anyone who wants to draw or paint drapery from observation or imagination. You will further explore these materials and techniques with assignments that Glenn will critique in forthcoming sessions.

Earn a digital Certificate of Completion when you complete this Live Class and submit all assignments for review before the end of term. Certificate details are located in the Assignments tab of this lesson page. Additionally, students who fulfill the certificate requirements will receive a special badge for display in the NMA community forums and Discord server.

To receive important class updates, enter your email here.

Bruce HancockBruce Hancock
    Participant
    No points.

Re: Drawing the Clothed Figure live class.  I need some clarification on how to properly submit assignments weekly.  The submission guidelines lay out the process of labeling and email a single jpeg file.  The assignment for week 1 of this class calls for doing five different drawings from the provided references.  Should all five drawing images be combined into one jpeg image?  Or should the five jpeg images be sent as separate file attachments within a single email?  Or individual emails?  If multiples of either the jpeg images or the emails are needed, then the naming system for them does not work.   (Same name for different files and emails.)

I apologize if this seems trivial…I’m concerned about flooding NMA with emails and images, and I’m also concerned how all this will fit into the certificate submission process, which I would like to pursue.   The first submission is due this Thursday.   Thanks for any help anyone may have.

Daniel DaigleDaniel Daigle
    Keymaster
    No badges. No points.

Hi Bruce, please email @nma.art">classes@nma.art
    I believe you can send multiple images in the same email

Bruce HancockBruce Hancock
    Participant
    No points.

I hope it’s OK to post this recommendation for a pen other than exactly what Glenn is using in the Drawing the Clothed Figure online class.  I wanted to try out the use of a fountain pen for our class sketches, as Glenn recommended.  However the pen Glenn has is $180 on Amazon.  Ouch.  That’s a lot to ‘try something out’.  I did some ‘shopping’ on line and found a line of pens by Schriveiner, also on Amazon, which seemed to have the ‘look and feel’ of the PILOT Namiki Falcon that Glenn has.   I bought the Scriveiner Luxury Fountain Pen in black.  Mine was $42 with free shipping.  (There are some different colors and finishes that vary slightly in cost.) It arrived in two days.  I made sure to order the pen with the ‘extra fine’ point, as Glenn suggested.  It came with two ink cartridges, a blue and a black.  I ordered a separate bottle of brown ink.  (The pen will use both the ink cartridges or it can be filled from a bottle, the old fashioned way!  Be sure to read the info about ink for these fountain pens. You need to have the correct type!) I’ve now done quite a few sketches with the pen.  It seems to work very well for drawing…certainly looks and acts exactly like Glenn’s pen online.   If you want to have a new sketching tool, but can’t afford the “Falcon”, I think you will be very pleased with this pen.  I’m sure there are other options too, but I can attest that this is a nice pen for drawing.  It’s kind of addicting!

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to use the forums. Sign Up for a free account or Sign In.